Saturday, December 3, 2022

ScrapHappy Satuday - Mad Dash to the Finish



Time to start thinking about what can still be finished up this year and what I want to start fresh for next year. I think I can finish these carpenter star blocks today.  I am finally getting set up in my new sewing space.  It has been a slow process.  When I got my design wall boards downstairs I realized that the first floor ceilings are just ever so slightly lower than the 8 foot boards.  They are leaning at a jaunty angle for now while I decide how to fix that.  I hate to disassemble them all to cut off two inches.  I could also rotate them sideways instead and put them on two different walls.  That is a decision for later though.  Right now I am focused on making enough extra HST units to frame out these blocks and get them all sewn together.  
The kids will be home for winter break in a couple of weeks so we will need to set up a bed downstairs again.   At the moment, the bathroom is still mid construction.  I hope all three kids don't mind sharing the same bathroom.  It is coming along slowly, but Kurt has been out of town a lot lately and with holiday travel plans, quiet weekends at home have not been all that common.   
I hope your finishing is fun so far.  I love seeing all of the blocks coming together.  It always makes me excited for the new year and inspires my list of new projects to ponder.  

12 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Carpenter's Star blocks are fabulous! Hope you get a chance to work on them this weekend. We have expanded to fill up the spaces in our house that were once filled by kids also, so when they come home for the holidays, there's always lots of rearranging going on. So I know what you're going through! (Worth it to have everyone home, though.)

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Great going on your Carpenter's Stars! And I love your dog friend, posing so nicely!

Chris said...

About those design wall boards sticking out a bit at the bottom- the blocks do nor fall off them the same as if they were straight up. In my experience, anyway, I am looking forward to your fresh ideas for the new year.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

What a pretty design wall - so colorful
Mine does that too... I just left it ( probably cuz I'm lazy) ha ha

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck on finishing up your blocks, Angela. They are SEW gorgeous! Sorry about the design board challenge, but I'm sure you will figure out a solution.

Sharon Kwilter said...

Thanks for hosting RSC. This was my first year participating and I have had fun, though I have only gotten one of my projects finished. I'm hoping to get at least one more finished before the end of the year.

grammajudyb said...

I, for one, can’t wait to see your Carpenters Stars all put together! It will be stunning!

Chantal said...

I love a good Carpenter's Wheel but the frame of HSTs you are adding to yours makes them even better looking. Bravo! I really love this one. Enjoy! ;^)

Gretchen Weaver said...

My display boards are also curved at the bottom but I don't mind. It's easier to put blocks on the bottom with the curve! Happy stitching!

Sandy Panagos said...

Since it's a jaunty angle and not just a regular angle you could just leave it as is. :-)

Kate said...

A slight lean shouldn't be a problem, but I know from experience if your design wall is used as your display for photographing quilts, the quilts never look straight in the resulting photos. Enjoy your stitching time and having the kids home for the holidays. Now that our girl is in grad school she has to work once classes are done, so we'll only see her for Christmas and the week after. They grow up way too fast.

Carol Andrews said...

Loving this display on your design wall