Saturday, November 18, 2023

ScrapHappy Saturday - Thanksgiving

I am thankful for my blog and my quilting, even though neither seems to be getting enough attention recently.   I hope that will change this week as we now have an entire week off for the Thanksgiving holiday.   We used to get three days, but during COVID they went to a full week and there is no going back from that!  My oldest is home now and will leave tomorrow to spend the holiday with the boyfriends family.  It will be our first major holiday without all the kids.  So hard!  I know it is the natural progression, but it still hit me.  Kurt is off picking up Sydney the youngest from UF this morning and the middle child should return on Monday.  So we will have 2 of the 3 until Thursday at least.  Sydney has to go back Thursday night because she works a retail job and is scheduled for Black Friday.  Then there is a big football game on Saturday.  It is fun to see them have their own lives apart from us, but still an adjustment.  

I have been mentally drained lately and spent many relaxing hours stitching away at hexies.  I need to set a row length for these so that I can figure out when I will be done.  I think the red row is going to be the longest and then I will just slowly bring each color to the same length and start getting them together.  The one odd man out is the black.  I might just sneak that on the end of the dark blue or purple row.  I will never find enough black or brown fabrics to have an entire row.  

How are all of your quilts coming along.  I know a lot of people will probably be taking a break from rainbow quilts for a while to do the Bonnie Mystery.  I haven't even checked to see what it will be this year!  It has been a few years since I have participated, but I usually at least follow along to enjoy everyone else's progress.  

I hope the holiday finds you happy and healthy and that you are able to find time for family and for yourself


10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Hooray for a whole week off for Thanksgiving! It is definitely strange and hard when not everyone comes home anymore. Glad you at least are getting a little time with the oldest before she leaves again. Wishing you a week of relaxation, good food, time with your family, and some stitching!

Sara said...

Hopefully your holiday will still be relaxing and enjoyable. I know that I really struggled with the changes that came with my adult children having OTHER plans for holidays. We're actually doing Thanksgiving on Thursday this year, which doesn't happen often anymore as the oldest "kid" is a respiratory therapist and works a lot of holidays - or they go to the in-laws.

The hexies are looking fabulous!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you are having a much needed break, Angela! Enjoy having Syd and Ryan back for a little while and at least you got to see Anna for a day. I understand how you feel about missing holidays with the "kids". It's an adjustment (and part of the progression into adulthood for them.)

The Joyful Quilter said...

One other thought...
If you WANT a brown/black row, determine what size scrap you need and I know there are a number of us who could send care packages for your quilt. My scrap baskets in those colors are overflowing!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Beautiful hexies! I am thankful for your blog, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and for this fun linky party every week. Happy Thanksgiving!

Kate said...

It is hard when the kiddos have other plans or can't come home (our's has to work on Wednesday, so doesn't have time for the trip). Enjoy your time with the rest of the family.

Terri in BC said...

I read your blog regularly, but I don't comment often. I'm hoping to join in next year's RBC Challenge.

Susie H said...

Good job on raising independent young adults, Angela! That's what parenting is all about. Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday. How much black fabric do you need per hexie? I have quite a bit of different blacks!

Sharon said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a big transition to adjust to - hexies are the perfect remedy for that! I am diving into the Quiltville mystery head first!