Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Hen & Chicks October Block 1 - Mourning Star


I know, its another Ohio Star Variation! Once I find a pattern that I am enjoying, I tend to work on a themed. This one has inner triangles that contrast and some additional corner squares. I saw other versions with little leaflets in the corners, but that was a bit much as far as piecing in a tiny block. Maybe I will do that one when I am making a bigger block. I saw a Lori Holt video on YouTube that did a nice flip and sew version that I would love to try. 

I chose to strip piece the corner squares, but you could easily swap out squares if that is what is in your scrap bin. 


The thing that makes this block different is that there are three fabrics in the QST rather than just 2. One HST will be light and dark gray while the other will be light gray and background. Pretty simple switch, but it makes a big difference in the final look of the block. 
Layer the large blocks right sides together. Set 1 is dark and light. Set 2 is light and background. Draw a line along the center diagonal

Sew on either side of the center line for the HST units.
Sew your strip set together. 
Cut along the drawn line then press seams toward the light gray. This seams counterintuitive when it comes to the dark gray fabric, but it will make sure your seams nest when you make your QST units. 
Sub cut strip sets and combine with background rectangles to make corner framed squares. Press away from the two patch and toward the background rectangle. 
Layer each dark/light HST with a light/background square. Draw a centerline and sew again just like you did last time. Make sure that the center seams both go in opposite directions so that they will nestle and form a neat center seam. 
Press and time dog ears. 

I used a dark center square in the large block. 
And then tried a light center square in the smaller block. It is a matter of taste, so choose the one you prefer. 
Here is the finished block with the dark center. Press away from the quarter square triangle units to reduce the bulk. 









 

No comments: