Thursday, December 22, 2011

Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2012

Welcome to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for 2012.   After a year full of scraps in all the colors of the rainbow in 2011, we are back, brighter and scrapier than ever.  The idea of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge is simple.  Each month a new color will be chosen.  You just need to dig out some scraps in that color and make something -- anything.  Some people made full quilts last year, others pulled out old UFOs.   Some of us made individual blocks that got combined at the end.  The choice is entirely yours.  Each Satruday a Scraphappy link up will be posted so that you can see what everyone else is up to and  collect some new scrap busting ideas. No need to sign up, no reason to feel bad if  life gets in the way and you miss a month along the way.  No quilt guilt allowed.  Just pop in on the weekend and check out everyone's progress, go visit and offer some encouragement. 
Feel free to grab my button and post it on your blog. You should be able to just copy the HTML code in the box under the picture and paste it into a new gadget on your blog.  Please let me know if you have any issues.  It is the first button I've done since last year at this time.  It isn't at all like riding a bike, but I found a code generator here that seemed to do the trick.  
We will be posting a Rainbow Wrap Up this Saturday and a Final ScrapHappy Saturday post on January 31st.  Drop by to see the great projects everyone has created and to steal some ideas for next year.  Until then, here are a few projects I've been considering for the new year.  I hope it gets your creative juices flowing. 
A log cabin or pineapple quilt in all the colors of the rainbow.  
String blocks, a classic choice, either in 3.5 inch or 6.5 inch sizes, here is one with selvages.  
A tiny nine patch quilt.  A not so tiny one would work too. 
Tiny Scrap Houses.  Too cute for words. Or this bigger version
Just crumbs, but in rainbow colors they take on a modern flavor.
Or maybe some crumb hearts, crumb stars or crumb geese.  

Rainbow Blocks in a tangled windows setting.  Here is another version in black
Dresden Plates like these or these
Ticker Tape blocks, check out these place-mats.  
Finally, check out this rainbow inspiration post by Jessica

22 comments:

Andra Gayle said...

I copied it and it seemed to work. I am getting excited for a new year of quilting!

Betty Lou said...

Got it----nice button. maybe I will follow the rules in 2012. Look forward to getting back in my sewing room after the holidays. Merry Christmas to you and those you love.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very fancy! I will try to load it and see how technologically impaired I am!

Jane said...

Done it. This year I think I'm going to follow you example, pick a block, and get one of each colour for the end of the year

Deb A said...

Got it! I agree with Miss 376. ... I'm going to do a block a month for one of those beautiful quilts you ended up with this month! Can't wait for next year!

Scrappy quilter said...

Ooooh let the fun begin again. Can't wait to get the first color in Jan. Thanks for doing this once again. Hugs

Joanne said...

Button capture worked just as it should. Thank you for the suggested posts. More inspiration. I'll be following along. So many scraps still to use. Joanne H

Lynne said...

Looking forward to seeing what everyone has been up to and what everyone does next year and, hopefully, participating from the beginning!

Amanda said...

I've added nest year's button, so I'm in again. The first job is to make the rainbow windmill quilt - I've been cutting the fabric each month in 2011 from each colour as we came to it. And I really love the idea of a houses quilt - I made one for my SIL and then wanted to keep it. And I want to make a rainbow quilt with simple blocks, perhaps crumbs or strings. Lots to think about.

Angie said...

Yay, no quilt guilt! I followed your fabric colors each month last year and went out and made purchases to build my stash, but as a new quilter, I didn't create anything after January. It's been that kind of year! So I'm excited about no quilt guilt! I grabbed the button and look forward to actually creating something this year to share in the challenge. Thanks for hosting it again.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

OH a rainbow pineapple sounds really fun!

Char said...

I kinda got sidetracked there at the end, but I'm willing to try and make it through 2012!

Elly D said...

Ooooh! A new Rainbow Scrap Challenge! Thank you for running this again. Perhaps I can make some more blocks to go with last years. And/Or maybe I could do a single block throughout in all the colours. I love your Rainbow blocks quilt. Oh the possibilities are endless!! Elly

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I am so glad you are doing another Rainbow Scrap Challenge! I think I am going to do a different block of each color this year.

Unknown said...

OK - I have added the button and will do my best to try each project but cannot promise to keep to it!I will do my very best as I need a challange

Caty said...

SO happy to have found your blog through Quilting by the River and it looks like I found it at just the right time!

I would LOVE to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2012!! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with :-)

Thank you for organizing this!

Have a wonderful New Years!!

blauraute said...

Wonderful to see your post now. It's a good posibility to finish my rainbow quilt from last year.
A happy new year to you and those you love.
Take care
Roswitha

Jaye said...

The button is on my blog...now what is next? When do you post the color of the ...week?...month? I wasn't sure of the plan as this is new to me! Love the idea!

Dormouse said...

What a great idea. I've grabbed the button and put it on my blog.

Raring to go now! :)

Susan said...

Thanks for doing it again! Somehow, after a whole year, I have more scraps than ever. How did that happen?

TextileAddict said...

Hi, I'd like to join in with your rainbow scrap challenge. Do the scraps need to be fabric or can any other type of textile related product be used? I enjoy a range of textile crafts and have lots of yarns, silk fibres, merino fibres, handmade papers etc that I'd like to use. It would be great to make a fabric version and/or an alternative one. What are your thoughts? Many thanks

Roopantaran said...

Find an amazing collection of Kantha Quilts from here. Kantha basically refers to the kind of stitch used in the craft of embroidery. Buy at low prices. More about Kantha Quilt