Saturday, October 27, 2012

Starry Starry Night

It was still a bit of a blustery day today.  I would have loved to spend the day hanging around the house and sewing mindlessly.  Though there was a some of that, there were also a couple of Halloween parties, a Lego practice and the usual weekend routine.  Most of my mental and emotional energy was spent on my mom who had some complications after a medical procedure on Friday.  I was ready to fly up to be with her, but I think things are more stable now and I'll wait for next weekend to go up and spend time with her when she is out of the hospital.

I have been trying to clear things out recently and dug out this unfinished quilt that keeps popping up from time to time.  Anna designed it to go with her room but then got a fancy bed in a bag from Noanie instead.  I didn't want to abandon the quilt, but didn't feel the need to complete the original queen sized design either.  This seems to be about twin sized, and though it won't cover the entire bed, It will still be nice to have an extra layer to snuggle under.

Instead of the 10.5 inch squares I've been into for quilt backs lately, I went with 12.5 inch squares this time.  There is a wide variety of blue pulled from the scrap bin, the stash and the project box.  One of the bits I pulled out was a panel with a world map on it.  It is kind of fun to see random bits of continents popping out for no particular reason.  Sydney still hasn't forgiven me for the boxers on the back of her crumb quilt, I wonder how Anna will feel about map bits?
I devoted my "snow day" on Friday to finishing the string blocks for Jamestown Landing.  I'll have to count to make sure they are all there, but I think I have enough now.  Just a little more trimming and this one will be ready to go.  

7 comments:

Andee said...

I love clearing those projects out and the map will be a conversation piece! I haven't done Jamestown Landing...was looking at my strings though and thinking I might get crazy and make four turkey blocks to put in a wall hanging...:) So much to sew and so little time!

Amanda said...

I've always loved your Starry Starry Night quilt, the colours and the lettering are such fun. Using stash for backing is a great way to use up older fabric isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hope your mom feels better soon!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope your mom feels better soon!!!

Deb A said...

Hope your Mom is doing better. Love your strings for the JL quilt. I have been eyeing that map fabric at Joanns........ Aidan is learning the continents and loves doing the US map. He also play's with Grandma's globe at her house so I have a feeling he'll get one for Christmas.

Amy said...

Starry quilt is so sharp looking! Of course, I'm also partial to blue/yellow quilts.
Jamestown Landing; yet another fabulous B.K.Hunter quilt! Great progress on the strings.

Kate said...

Fun front and back on your Starry Quilt.