Sunday, October 12, 2014

RSC Sampler - Cat

Back in March, Deb made a cat block, and it has been on my list since then. I thought I was making it the same, but mine turned out just a bit different. I had cut out the pieces a while ago, but ended up with slightly different sizes.   Actually I cut out quite a few blocks, but after leaving them in baggies without directions, I'm not sure quite how to get them together anymore.   Check out Deb's cat as well, maybe they could be friends?
Cutting, I chose a black and a grey, your cat could be any color of course.
From cat fabric:
5.5 by 3.5 inch body
1.5 by 6.5 inch tail
3 - 1.5 inch squares for ears and tail curl
From background fabric:
1.5 by 3.5 inch
2.5 inch square
2 - 1.5 inch squares
Step 1, use flip and sew corners to round off back and for first ear.  Sew one light and one dark 1.5 inch square together.
Add second flip and sew ear and attach two patch from step one to background square as shown.  press toward the background piece because it has fewer seams.

Step 3, attach ears to head.  Press toward the head, to reduce bulk.
Step 4, attach head to background.  This time press away from the head to avoid the angled seam.  
Step 5 attach head to body.  Press away from the body.  I really like to avoid pressing toward angles when I can.
Step 6, attach tail to body.   Press toward the tail.  The block will be 6.5 inches unfinished and 6 inches in the finished quilt.  

9 comments:

Dasha said...

How cute is that! You seem to have worked out how to make it without those instructions perfectly well.

Needled Mom said...

Very cute!

Sheila said...

That is sooooo cute : )

Sally Trude said...

That's not a cat. That's a kitten! And please piece responsibly and spay/neuter your patchwork.

Karen said...

I like this kitty. Thanks for sharing.

Julierose said...

Kitty Love! thanks for the tutorial...hugs, Julierose

Kate said...

Your fabric is so very fitting for a black cat. Cute block.

Marly said...

Sorry, Angela, I'm a bit behind this month. Reading this pattern I can't find the dimensions for the cat's head. Could you please email them to me. Thanks.

Julierose said...

OH --like Marly I need dimensions for Head piece--thanks, Hugs,Julierose