Sunday, October 26, 2014

RSC Sampler - Contrary Wife

I just love the names of quilt blocks.  I wonder who in the world came up with Contrary Wife.  Was it the wife or the husband?
 The hardest part of this block was finding three black fabrics with enough contrast to show up against one another.  You could use any shades of black or grey to try to find three fabrics that work as dark, medium and light.  We'll be working with 2.5 inch strips for a nine patch grid on this one.
 Place the light and dark fabrics right sides together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 4 HST units.  From the light fabric you will also need 2 - 2.5 inch squares.  Finally, from the medium fabric, cut 3 - 2.5 inch squares.
 Here is the pattern.  Just a simple nine patch.  The medium squares form the diagonal, with the HST block next, dark pointing toward the center.  Fill in the corners with the light squares.
That's it, just sew the squares together as you would for any nine patch and press.  Your block should be 6.5 inches unfinished.  Getting close!  Just a few more blocks to go!

3 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

I like the different material you used. Lovely block.

Andee said...

I am all caught up on everything in my world (until Nov. 1) and then I realized that I am six blocks behind on this...cannot wait to get to it!

Kate said...

I've made this one before, but it's been a while.