Sunday, October 26, 2014

RSC Sampler - Kentucky Crossroads

I'm on a bit of a roll with states and roads right now.  I wonder what other state themes I can come up with?
 This is another make it big and trim it down block.  Start with a 5.5 inch square of background fabric. You will also need  a couple of 2 inch strips of fabric about 11 inches long and a 2 inch square of contrasting fabric.
 Start by cutting the large square in half from one corner to another across the diagonal to make two triangles.  Insert a 2 inch strip in the center and sew the triangles to either side.  I folded each piece in half and creased along the diagonal to help it all line up.  Press the seams away from the center strip.
 Cut your center square in half again on the other diagonal.  Next cut the other strip in half and insert the contrasting 2 inch square into the center.
 Sew one strip to opposite sides of the square and press toward the center square.  Next, sew the large triangles to either side of the strip, matching the seams which should nestle nicely.
 Your square should be slightly oversized for trimming up.  Use your favorite 6.5 inch square up ruler to get your block to the right size.
Here is your finished block.  It should be 6.5 inches unfinished and ready to go into your quilt.  

3 comments:

Dasha said...

This is a nice block. I like your fabrics too Angela. If you find me on Pinterest, I have a board called Blocks, and there are a few State blocks there.

Scrappy quilter said...

I really like this one.

Kate said...

Another fun and easy block. You are really on a roll.