Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Mai Tai Sunrise is Done

 I just took the last stitch in the binding of Mai Tai Sunrise and ran out into the front yard for a photo shoot.  It looked great against the grass.  The colors really make me happy.  This quilt is made from a Bonnie Hunter block pattern published in the Addicted to Scraps column in Quiltmaker magazine.  The original pattern came out in September/October of 2012.  I started mine in January of 2013 as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for that year.  The quilt top has been done for quite a while, but I was waiting for motivation on the finishing part.  That come on June 30th when Bonnie Hunter put out an all call for quilts to appear in some online workshops that she is doing for the magazine.  My quilt is going to almost famous!  So exciting.
 But it was all angled, so I asked Anna to come out and hold it.  She was on tippy toes, but lacks tall genes.  I blame Kurt for that.  Then two movers down the street yelled that we could come and hold it off the edge of their truck.
And so we did.  Wasn't that nice of them?  I'm off to my ladies luncheon.  So happy to have this one done and ready to mail off to Colorado.
I was informed that brightly colored quilts amongst urban backgrounds are very chic.  So here is a photo of Mai Tai Sunrise on the back of the truck somewhat less cropped.  

30 comments:

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Great combo of block colours and the perfect name for it! (Oh look, my autocorrect thinks I'm English!)

Julianne said...

Its gorgeous! Great finish!

Julierose said...

Lovely finish! Hugs, Julierose

Angie said...

Fabulous finish!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Excellent finish - fun that you were able to photo using the back of the truck.

Sally Trude said...

Your Mai Tai Sunrise makes me happy too!

Vicki W said...

It's awesome! It's so bright and happy. How nice of the movers to let you use their truck for your photo shot.

Mari said...

It's gorgeous! Congratulations on a great finish. Lucky those movers were there! I think you deserve to go have a couple of mai tais of the liquid kind yourself now. Beautiful work!

Linda said...

Yes, "colours" not "colors"!

Sue SA said...

Looks gorgeous, glad you got it done and photographed in time for your special lunch!

KaHolly said...

Bee-u-ti-ful! Nice guys to offer up their truck! Thoughtful. For men.☺️

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that is SO beautiful!!! I love all the colors in it!

Suzy said...

I love it!

Lesley Gilbert said...

A beautiful quilt - love the colours (& yes I am English :) ) well done.

make.share.give said...

Tha colors make me happy too! Wonderful job.

Kate said...

Did one of the movers have a wife that quilts? Most guys wouldn't get the photo shoot need. Congrats on getting Mai Tai Sunrise all finished. It's gorgeous!

Katie Z. said...

Way to go! The color placement is fabulous.

Mystic Quilter said...

What a beauty!!

Sheila said...

It's beautiful. Love those colors! Bright, warm and fun.

Jo said...

It does look lovely.
Well done

Cathy said...

Love it. Congrats on the finish!

Delighted Hands said...

Yay! What a memorable photo shoot! I hadn't a reference of size until it was up against that truck-wow! Excellent work! (Now when you mail it out, it will have phase two of its adventure!)

Dasha said...

Gorgeous! All those lovely colours (see, I CAN spell LOL). What a hoot that those movers held it up for you. Very sweet gesture.

gayle said...

That is such a happy looking quilt!
Love the movers story. 8)

Margaret said...

It's a real beauty!! Congratulations! I'm sure Bonnie will be impressed!

beaquilter said...

Just gorgeous! love it

Jennie in GA said...

What a stunning finish!!! Congratulations.

Nann said...

I looked at the original block...then yours...then the original...then yours. I would not have come up with the one-color version -- I love it! (And what nice moving men, to offer their truck as the display. A note of urban chic: industrial background, soft bright quilt. You're trendy!)

Michele said...

Oh wow. I really love it. Nicely done.

Andee Neff said...

I know I have already commented on fb but this quilt is absolutely stunning! I have added it to my to do list....oy! REALLY AN AWESOME QUILT! Might be my favorite of all of yours...and that is quite a compliment!