Sunday, August 24, 2008

Quilted Tile



"I've messed up massively and I need your help." Those are words you never want to hear in the middle of a bathroom remodeling project. We had finished the bathtub portion of the tile work and were moving over to the shower portion. I say "we" but I really mean Kurt was doing the tile work, I was watching the talking word factory with Sydney and eating popcorn. In transitioning from one section to the other, he worked from the right to the left, and then shifted over to the left and worked back toward the middle again. When he got to the part where the left and the right were supposed to meet, they didn't. Somehow his math skills were off and he was shifted by half a tile. So I spent the rest of the afternoon helping him peel (thankfully) still wet tiles off the wall and repositioning them. Anyway, it occurred to me in the middle of all of this scraping and sticking that doing tile is so much like making a quilt. So even if I wasn't quilting, I was thinking about quilting while all of this was going on.

Then last night the men's marathon was on the Olympics. I recorded it so I could do some sewing and then fast forward through the commercials. I still ended up watching the end at about the right time, but I managed to get a batch of crumb blocks done while it was happening. My scrap bin was overflowing and I had already done a couple of sessions of cutting squares and strips. Those drawers are all pretty well stocked, so I decided to go for random piecing. I did segregate the scraps in to brights, muted and pastels. I was trying for random, but I can only push myself so far out of my comfort zone. Each color family is getting squared up into a different size, and I'll set them all aside for a rainy day. I also got the final border on my Dad's Plaids quilt yesterday, so I'll be getting that ironed and layered sometime soon.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks goodness that tile had not dried. Then you would have had a nightmare on your hands. It looks like your bathroom is going to be very pretty!

Donna said...

quliting skills DO come in handy -- and you must keep up the practise! :-)

Glad the tiling worked out...

Challenge: Try half a dozen blocks with the fabrc truly mixed up... set them together and make a small tote.... You can do it.... the mutes want to play with the brights....