Saturday, April 20, 2024

Hen & Chicks - Old Maid's Puzzle

 






Nothing to see here, just HST units and a few background squares.   Please use your method of choice for making the HST units.  I will give you the add 7/8 inch measurements in the cutting chart, though when I make two at a time I always add and inch and square up.  I only do that on the tiny HST blocks though, because I really love my Easy Angle ruler and I like to make everything from the strips that I have lovingly cut and stored in tidy little drawers under my quilting machine.  
 
You will need 6 HST units and three squares of background fabric.  Refer to the cutting chart for specific sizes based on your desired block.   
This is the only truly difficult part of the block.  I got it wrong the first time which is why I had to use photos from the tiny block (the larger size photographs better.   Think about the yellow parts of the HST blocks as all forming groups of three and pointing toward the center.   The background squares march proudly down the center diagonal.  

Now just sew it together as you would any old nine patch.  Just double check the placement before you sew the rows together in case any of the pieces decided to rotate

No comments: