Sunday, March 30, 2014

RSC Sampler - Spinning Star

Stars are one of my favorite motifs for quilt blocks. There are so many different kinds.  This one uses flip and sew triangles.
You will need:
4 - 2 x 3.5 inch rectangles of dark teal
4 - 2 inch squares of accent fabric - I used teal flowers
8 - 2 inch squares of background fabric
Place one square of background fabric on the top of each teal rectangle and draw a line from corner to corner on the background square.  Sew on the line and then flip, press and trim away the extra fabric behind the seam.
Next sew the last 4 squares of background fabric to the 4 squares of accent fabric.  Press away from the background fabric.
Match each flip and sew rectangle to the two patch making sure the background fabrics touch one another.  Sew an press away from the dark fabric.
Arrange the four subunits as shown so that the star points rotate.  Sew as you would a four patch.
There you go -- another quick and easy block.  

5 comments:

Katie Z. said...

Ooh... Purple! A nice small collection for me. Maybe I will catch up this month!

Sheila said...

Love your sampler blocks and tutorials. Thank you.
Purple! Yah!

Jo said...

OMG.
I thought I had caught up but you you up so many at the last moment. I hope to sew some more to catch up this week.
Love the purple....

Sarah said...

Love your fabrics for this one! Is it purple or are you just playing with us? Lol

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Great blocks! Heading to the closet this morning to see if there is some purple in there.