Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Midget Quilt for the Blogger's Quilt Festival

 I wasn't quite sure which quilt to enter in the Blogger's Quilt Festival.


I sat and pondered for the longest time before remembering that I had just finished off my Midget Blocks Quilt not so very long ago.  This was a sampler quilt based on a series of free blocks posted at Sentimental Stitches.  Each adorable little block finishes at 4.5 inches! I added in a few blocks of my own along the way and even ordered an extra set of midget patterns when I realized that I really like doing applique.
The best part of making this quilt was enjoying other quilters working on the same blocks.  We each tried to post a block each week on Tiny Tuesday.  After two years of making a block a week, I finally put them all together with a wonky setting to hide size variations and decided to add a border of 2 inch squares that had been collected from each block along the way.


 Quilting it was the most difficult part.  I finally decided to just take a deep breath and go for it.  While the quilting isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, it is all mine and I loved every minute.
I used a background stiple in the white space and minimal quilting within the blocks themselves. Lots of stitch in the ditch was a slow and patient process.
Head over to the Bloggers Quilt Festival to check out lots of beautiful quilts.  

19 comments:

Diane Kelsey said...

Amazing work! I really would love to make a quilt with a white background one day.

Andee said...

Off to vote for you!

Dasha said...

Beautiful. Somehow I missed seeing this in the production phase.

sunny said...

It's a beautiful quilt! I like the border you added to tie everything all together. And you did a lovely job of quilting it.

CitricSugar said...

Oh, my! Those blocks are super cute and have a huge impact all together like that - great work!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

There is so much work in this quilt, hundreds of details to be enjoyed and appreciated for many years to come.

Sheila said...

I love your quilt, Angela.

Danih03 said...

Oh my goodness your patience has paid off! It's beautiful! I don't have the attention span for 2 years!You should be VERY proud!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful quilt! so much work but well worth it

Mystic Quilter said...

What an amazing quilt - I couldn't tackle the 4.5" blocks so good for you!

Ellen said...

I love this quilt - you did such a good job with it!!

Deb A said...

I just love your finished quilt. I really need to pull out mine and rethink the setting again. I seem to have used my sashing fabric for a backing this month. I think this is the summer to get my midgets into a top =).

Angie in SoCal said...

Amazing quilt - know which one I will be voting for. Love it!

Cille said...

Great ideas+a lot of patience=wonderful quilt

Barb said...

Awesome Quilt!

Kate said...

Beautiful quilt. I remember a lot of the posts on the blocks involved road trips. Hopefully that means lots of good memories are stitched into the blocks.

Sewing In CT said...

I love this quilt and know what an effort it is to complete one like this. I voted for you!

the zen quilter said...

Nice work, love the colors!

Kathy said...

Just added my vote.