Saturday, May 10, 2014

RSC Sampler - Stacked Coins

A quick and easy classic for today. This one uses lots of different colors, and is great for smaller sized scraps.
Start with at least 6 greens.  I just happened to have a bag of 1.5 inch strips and so cut 6 rectangles that were 3.5 inches long.  This would be a fun block for strings as well.  Maybe I'll try that variation later.  In addition to those, you will also need two large strips of background fabric 2 inches by 6.5 inches.
Sew the 3.5 inch strips together and press carefully.  There are a lot of seams in this one and it is easy to get it a little wonky if you are overzealous with the iron.
Now sew the long strips of background fabric to either side and press away from the center.  I could see a giant quilt with this block, arranged in a basket weave pattern.  What a great scrap buster that would be!

6 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

Looks like you're going to keep us busy with the new green block posts. Looking forward to working with the new greens I bought. Not really scrap happy challenge of me but my remaining greens were just too washed out and needed to be kicked up a notch.

Sherry said...

Just love all your scrappy blocks.

Sheila said...

Cute block!

Needled Mom said...

I love all of the greens.

Sheila said...

Another fun block!

Kate said...

Fast and fun. I'm looking forward to playing with my green scraps.