Friday, October 31, 2014

RSC Sampler - Wonky Courthouse Steps

This one was leftover from the yellow month, but somehow it just didn't get finished up. As the year starts to wind down, tying up loose ends is all part of the plan.  Feel free to change up the colors as you try to round out your collection to fit your own quilt design plans.
All the subunits can be cut from 1.5 inch strips.  I did mine light to dark from the center out, but you can do yours any that makes you smile.
You will need.
1 - 1.5 inch square of lightest yellow
2 - 1.5 inch squares and 2 - 3.5 inch strips of light yellow
2 - 3.5 inch strips and 2 - 5.5 inch strips of medium yellow
2 - 5.5 inch strips and 2 - 7.5 inch strips of dark yellow.
Start with the 1.5 inch squares.  Sew all three together with the lightest square in the middle.  Press away from the center.
Sew the a 3.5 inch light yellow strip to each side of the center section.  Press away from the center.
Attach a 3.5 inch medium yellow strip to the bottom and top of the center section.  Press away from the middle.  Next, sew 5.5 inch strips of medium yellow to each side of the center section.
Finally!  Last round.  Sew 5.5 inch dark yellow strips to each side and 7.5 inch yellow strips to the top and bottom.  Press all the seams away from the middle.
The block has been made slightly oversized so that it can be trimmed "wonky".   Use your favorite 6.5 inch square up ruler and trip the block up at an angle.
There you go, your finished block will have a jaunty tilt and finish at 6 inches.  

4 comments:

Jo said...

I like this block.,it could be a good in betweener..

Scrappy quilter said...

I like it. Very simple to do.

Teresa in Music City said...

Cool!!! I played with some crumb blocks the other night, just free sewing with no concern for size of strip etc. It was so much fun and very freeing! I think I've found my crumb project for next year's RSC :*)

Kate said...

This will be a new one for me. I probably need to lay out my blocks and decide what I need to fill in with.