Sunday, July 19, 2015

Postage Stamp Stars

 I seem to have an abundance of postage stamp blocks.  They are "cheater" squares, chain pieced rather that sewn individually with each square unique.  Feel free to cut individual 1.5 inch squares if you prefer, but I used strips and the tutorial posted here.  Just make strip sets of 4 1.5 inch scraps and sub cut into 1.5 inches.  When sewn together, these little squares should be 4.5 inches and will form the center of your star.
 Other than the center square, everything else can be cut from 2.5 inch squares of colored and background fabric using the easy angle and companion angle rulers.  If you don't like the rulers, then use your favorite flying goose method.  As long as you unfinished block measures 2.5 by 4.5 you will be good to go.
 I will go through the ruler method though, because it is my favorite.  The "sky" in this case is the same color as your center square.  Use the easy angle ruler with 2.5 inch strips placed right sides together.  You will need four pairs of triangles.
 From the background fabric you will cut four 2.5 inch squares.
 In addition you will also use the companion angle ruler to cut the "goose" portion of the block.  You will need four geese.  I like to stack my fabric 4 high and get them all from the same cut, but you can also cut them out one by one.
 Start by sewing a one side of the sky to the goose.  Press with the seam going away from the goose.
 Next sew the left side of the sky to the goose.  Press
 Repeat for all four geese.  Remove the dog ears.
 All you subunits are now ready to go.  Lay them out as a nine patch.  Make sure that the geese form the background and the sky is adjacent to the center block.
 Sew one background square to each end of the side geese.  Sew the other two geese to the top and the bottom of the center square.  Press the center section seams toward the center of the block and the side portions away from the center so that the seams will nestle.
 Finally, sew the sides onto the center and you are ready to go.
You could also use a string block, a crumb block, or even a novelty fabric as the 4.5 inch center square.  There are so many possibilities to try.  

5 comments:

Karen said...

I like this star. I have lots of 1.5" squares. This would be a great block to use them. Thanks for sharing.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the tutorial! This is one of the blocks that I am considering for RSC16. Your instructions will take out the guess work.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

The postage stamp star is such a pretty block! :)

Magpie Sue said...

Almost as soon as I received the packet light blue fabrics from you and Vicki Welsh I started making sawtooth stars with them! I adapted Bonnie Hunter's scrappy trips process to make some with 16 patch centers. I hope to be posting them on my blog next week. Thanks again for all the fun you've inspired!

Kimberly Smith said...

I've discovered my new leader-ender. I've been waiting for something to 'hit me' and these star centers are a great start. Thanks for the tutorial.