Sunday, January 16, 2022

Playing with Scraps on a Rainy Sunday

I did some organizing and sorting over the break and made a mental list of block collections in need of love.  The two inch squares bin had a lot of randomly scrappy nine patches.  I was thinking that I could add some consistently colored star points to turn them into Sister's Choice blocks.  Here are my test blocks.  I will let them simmer until the green month comes up.   
I have made as many Irish Chain blocks as will fit onto one design wall.  I'm almost out of the partial blocks.  I'll need to do some math now and figure out how many to make.  I think enough for a twin sized quilt.   If 63 by 87 is a standard twin size, then that is 9 by 12.  I'll need a border as well, so I should make the center 8 by 11.  88 blocks divided evenly between the two types makes 44.  It looks like I've got 30 right now.   So I'll make a note that I need 14 more of each block and set this one aside for now.   
Finally, the red wall!  I spent most of yesterday on crumbs.  I was thinking of turning those into placemats and potholders.   I've finished most of the main projects for the month and was working some cross blocks through to alternate with random scrappy 16 patches.  I think that I will move those over to the empty wall and continue on those as leaders and enders.   So I guess that I have a lot of background projects and should think about a main project, but I always seem to get carried away with scraps instead.  It is a cold and rainy day in Florida, so staying inside where it is warm and dry sounds like a wonderful plan.   Sydney and I are seeing the hand surgeon tomorrow.  Hopefully he will have some good news for us.  She is doing pretty well with just one working hand so far, but patience is not her strong suit.   I'm off to Oh Scrap! for more scrappy inspiration and will catch up on yesterday's ScrapHappy Saturday posts as well.   I got pretty carried away sewing yesterday and never took a computer break.  

12 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

A lovely wall of red!
We try to stay focused on a main project, but we get distracted by scraps... LOL so true!!

Susie H said...

Wishing Sydney well at her doctor's appointment tomorrow!

Sara said...

Lots of scrappy fun! And I sure hope your daughter gets some good news on her hand injury.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a beautiful RED design wall, Angela!! I'm loving those extra scrappy projects, too. Good luck at the hand surgeon's office tomorrow!

Ivani said...

Great scrap blocks, Angela, your design wall shows a great start with the reds. I made several crumbs placemats last year and your idea sounds very good, go for it.
Have a blessed and healthy week.

Delighted Hands said...

Looks like a lot of progress-I like the red blocks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those scrappy Sister's Choice blocks are so pretty! And every time I see your Irish Chain, I just want to make some of them. They are dangerous, if you know what I mean! Best of luck to Sydney at the hand surgeon's tomorrow.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Fabulous progress, Angela! I like where your sister's blocks are headed!I hope the appointment goes well tomorrow!

Sharon Kwilter said...

I've gotten carried away with red scraps too!

Linda said...

Your Sisters Choice blocks look great.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love your playing in the scraps!!
you have some great projects there!!!

Helenchaffin said...

You've been busy! everything looks great! I've decided to reenter the land of blogging , can you tell me how to add pictures? Im not seeing an option