Saturday, August 24, 2024

ScrapHappy Saturday - August flies by



Can it almost be September?  Fortunately there are still 3 months left in the year to catch up with orange, because not a stitch has been sewn. The beginning of a new school year can be that way. I am so glad that I had a big spree before going back to finish up all of the Hen & Chick blocks. Things will calm down soon enough. For now, I am so excited to put my new desk together so that I at least have a place to put my sewing machine. Everything is just piled up on the ironing island. 

The old desk looks great in Sydney's new apartment. She swears she is still unpacking and everything will find a home soon enough. She has a lot of stuff!


Sydney did send me a first day of school photo completely unprompted.  What a sweetheart.

I did have a bit of time last weekend to rough cut some t-shirts for an NC State quilt that I am making for a friend of a friend. I might pull out the ironing press this afternoon if I can clear off the space by getting things put away again. Wish me luck!

Kurt was in Virginia this week. We are getting central air put in and so he took out the window AC unit that was installed in the middle of a wall in the family room.  

Rather than trying to match the vinyl siding on the back of the house, we replaced it with wood siding to match the front on the house. Much more of the log cabin vibe we were looking for. There is a chimney from the old propane stove that we might take out next and we can do the same siding swap there. We aren't ready to just redo the entire house, but it is a project we can do in chunks. 

A giant sugar maple tree fell down and broke the railing on our freshly finished new deck. He was able to replace that while he was up this week. 

I had already cut plenty of firewood, so our neighbor is going to take the wood to stock up for the winter. 



8 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

August really flew by for me, and I didn't even have to go back to school! That's too bad about the tree falling on your Virginia place - you've both been putting in a lot of work there. The wood siding looks beautiful!

Susie H said...

Glad I'm not the only one completely behind. Wishing you & Sydney good school years. Kurt sure had his hands full this past week. Bonus for the neighbor!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it sounds like the house is coming along really nice and will be ready for you to live in full time (or how long you want) soon. The improvements all look great.

The Joyful Quilter said...

So sweet of Sydney to send a 1st day of the school year photo! Nice work on the cabin. Best of luck on finding time to finish that T-Quilt, Angela!

Rebecca Grace said...

We just moved our son into a new college apartment last week, too. Unlike your Sydney, I was shocked that he hardly packed anything -- like, 4 pairs of socks, no undershirts, the closet is practically empty. Where are all the clothes I bought this child?! Then yesterday I shipped a big box of all the things he forgot to pack... Hey, I am planning to jump on the RSC bandwagon in September and I'm having trouble finding the post with the overview of how it works, any rules to follow, where/when to find out what the color is each month. The link at the top of your blog for 2024 doesn't seem to be updated the colors for the months that have passed. And is there a trick to the Mister Linky tool because I tried twice to link up and it didn't look like it worked from my end. Thanks for hosting this!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

First day of school pictures are the best! Although, the first day comes too soon for me. If only there was a way to prolong summer!

Kate said...

So glad you've been able to get some stitching time done before school kicks off. Hope things line out soon.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Whoops! Wrong week. My apologies for adding a second entry.