Thursday, August 1, 2024

Hen & Chicks August Block 3 - Swamp Angel

This is such a pretty quilt block. Why does it have such a strange name? I am sure there is a history somewhere, but I am enjoying the addition of QST units to the quilt, and so like to continue to work on a theme. 

This one has just 4 QST unts, 4 HST units and a center square. I used the QST fabric for mine, but it could be the other orange or even background, depending on the look that you like. 


I went ahead and made the HST units using my Easy Angle Ruler, but the cutting chart give you sizes for the squares you would need to cut. I  am showing the QST unit assembly, even though I feel like we've got it all down now.  Start with squares 1.25 inches larger than the finished size of your unit. Draw a line along the diagonal and place background and orange squares right sides together. 

Sew a quarter of an inch on either side of the drawn line and cut in half. Press open and trim dog ears

Sandwich two HST units together and repeat the process of drawing a line. 
Sew again on either side of the line, cut in half, press and trim dog ears. 

I like to rotate the seams on these. It reduces bulk and is also highly adorable. 
HST units form the corners, and the QST pieces go on the edges. It is really just an Ohio Star with HST units added to the corners. Everything is variations on a theme. 
Here is your finished block. I would like to make another one with background in the center and enjoy the floating rectangles formed around the edges. So many variations on similar themes!  I did swap the color placement in my two block sizes just for fun. 






 

No comments: