Saturday, May 24, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Nelson's Victory

This is a 16 patch block which means that it uses 2 inch squares which will finish off at 1.5. They are laid out in a basic 4 by 4 grid.
I used three greens, a dark, a medium and a light.
Start with 4 squares of each fabric, each 2 inches.
Next place your medium and light fabric right sides together and use the easy angle ruler to cut 4 HST units.  Press these and remove the dog ears.
The layout on this block is super cute.  The center is a basic pinwheel.  Then the squares are added to each side to extend the edges of the pinwheel.  Clever right?
This is my organized method of sewing blocks together.  I learned it from Eleanor Burns of Quilt in a Day fame.  First fold column two over on top of column one.  Chain sew those blocks together without breaking the threads.
Next sew each block from column three to the pairs from columns on and two.  Again, chain piece without breaking threads.
Repeat with column three
Finish with column four.  Now you have "pinned" your rows together with the threads of each column.
Sew the rows together to make a beautiful little 16 patch.  Cute right?  And simple.  My favorite kind of block.  

2 comments:

Jo said...

And I thought I had caught up. A job for tomorrow......

Kate said...

Nice alignment on the stripes! I should get to this one today.