Monday, May 19, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Shoofly

This is such a simple block that I was sure I had already done it. I went back and checked though, and it hasn't shown up yet. So here is a classic Shoofly.
This block is based on a nine patch grid meaning each subunit is 2.5 inches unfinished.
I used 2.5 inch strips in a dark and light green.
Place the dark and light strips right sides together and use the easy angle ruler to make 4 HST units.  Then cut one dark square and 4 light squares.  I love it when an entire block comes from one size of strips!
Sew the HST units together, remove the dog ears and press to the dark.  Then lay the block out as shown with the dark square in the center and the dark half of the HST blocks facing in.  
Sew together the blocks into rows first and then sew the rows together with the seams going away from the HST units to reduce bulk.
Press the final block with the seams again going away from the HST units.  

3 comments:

Deb A said...

A nice easy one =)

Sheila said...

I've always liked this block. Not sure I've ever made one so I'm looking forward to making one this week : )

Kate said...

It is a simple block, but I'm not sure I've made one either.

I am really having fun with the sampler blocks. Thanks so much for doing the sampler this year.