Monday, May 12, 2014

RSC - Boxed Kite

I saw this one in Quiltmakers Addicted to Scraps for May/June.  It always puzzles me that Bonnie Hunter uses different directions in her columns and blogs than she does in her books.  I am such a huge fan of the easy angle ruler after using it for her mystery quilts.  So when I see the directions for cutting squares 2 7/8 inches, I usually just grab my precut strips and ruler instead.
This block is a nine patch, which means that all of the squares should be 2.5 inches unfinished.
I used the easy angle ruler of course, with 2.5 inch strips of yellow and green fabric placed right sides together.   
Here are the nine squares.  Two yellow, one frog and 6 HST.
I really thought of putting them together like this.  Cute, right?
Instead I followed the pattern and ended up with this.  
And so here if the finished block.  Kind of a variations on Jacob Ladder really.  It has the same nice diagonal flow to it.  

7 comments:

Nell's Quilts said...

A fun block. Both settings are great and it may just be an idea to make them both.

Jean said...

From some comments I read on Bonnie's blog regarding one of her mystery quilts in Quiltmaker,I don't think she has control on how the directions are written. It would be good to e-mail her with that question. She will answer, as she has answered me when I've done that.

Needled Mom said...

That's a great block.

Kate said...

Fun block. I'm almost done with purple, so hopefully I can start green before the weekend.

Melinda said...

Very cute block. Hey, my messages directly to you have been bouncig back "undeliverable". Is anyone else having this problem with you or is it at my end?

Marly said...

Nice block. I shall enjoy making it this evening.
Regarding Bonnie Hunter's instructions: I subscribe to the digital edition of Quiltmaker, and there the directions are given both ways. If only the two larger squares method for making HSTs is given, that seems to me like an editorial decision, maybe reconsidered after the magazine had gone to press.

Andee said...

I am pretty sure Quiltmaker writes the directions, trust me Bonnie is making these with the easy angle or her leftover hsts! :) I am so happy I FINALLY get how to convert the pattern myself if I need to!