Monday, June 2, 2014

RSC Sampler - Lover's Knot

There seems to be some confusion as to the names of Churn Dash, Monkey Wrench and Lover's Knot.  They seem to be used somewhat interchangeably.  I've already made a Churn Dash/Monkey Wrench with equal divisions in a nine patch arrangement.  This has the same subunits but with an unequal division of the units.  I've seen it called Lover's Knot and so that it the name I will go with.

 Despite the unequal sections, the measurements still worked out fairly well.  I used a dark and light yellow for this one.
Use light and dark strips cut to three inches for the HST units.  Place them right sides together and cut 4 triangles.  Using the light fabric, cut 4 rectangles that are 1.5 by 2 inches and one square that is 1.5 inches.  Finally, cut 5 squares that are 1.5 inches.
 Sew the HST units together, trim the dog ears and press toward the dark fabric.  In the same sitting, go ahead and sew a dark square to on end of each light rectangle.  Again, press toward the dark.
 Here is the block layout.  It is a nine patch grid, but I sewed it in separate sections in order to get the pressing right.
 First sew the three rows.  Press away from the HST units.  I always try to press away from the angled seams when I can to help get the points to lay better.  Press the middle section toward the dark colored center.
 Next sew the three rows together.  Here is a view of the back so you can get a feel for the pressing.  Again, the seams go away from the HST units.
And here is the finished block.  Whatever you would like to call it is fine,  as long as you can call it done.  

10 comments:

Ellen said...

Cute sunny block! I have fallen so far behind with the sampler blocks but I know I will catch up soon. I know I can...I know I can....

Jo said...

Of course you can Ellen.
Hope to get mine done tomorrow

Deb A said...

I think I make these two yellow samplers up while the kids and Greg nap this afternoon. That will be my 'nap' time!

sophie said...

I confess that I am enjoying the blocks ... but not yet making them. I like the idea of a sampler of 6 inch blocks–it will likely become a future project for me– maybe next year's rainbow scraps challenge.

Lover's knot has been used as a name for so many blocks. I was surprised it also described this one.

Deb A said...

I'm all caught up!... until you post the next one of course! I have more yellows that I was thinking.

LA Paylor said...

so is the color yellow or gold or what have you chosen?? Where is it listed each month?? I am enjoying the whole process but always just sort of hope i am using your colors.
LeeAnna Paylor
leeannaquilts@gmail.com

LA Paylor said...

so is the color yellow or gold or what have you chosen?? Where is it listed each month?? I am enjoying the whole process but always just sort of hope i am using your colors.
LeeAnna Paylor
leeannaquilts@gmail.com

LA Paylor said...

so is the color yellow or gold or what have you chosen?? Where is it listed each month?? I am enjoying the whole process but always just sort of hope i am using your colors.
LeeAnna Paylor
leeannaquilts@gmail.com

Nell's Quilts said...

I've selected the yellows for this block and will stitch it together before day's end. I'm loving the variety in the blocks and the chanced to use up my small bits.

Kate said...

I'm about finished with all the green blocks. Looking forward to playing with all my yellow scraps.