Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tutorial For Pink Crossroads

I'm always looking for ways to use my leaders and enders blocks.  Since the RSC started, I seem to have lots of monochromoatic four patches hanging out wanting to be put to good use.  The pink 16 patches take four of these blocks made from 2.5 inch lne (leader and ender) blocks.  Wanting a new alternate block to try, a little web surfing led me to the Arkansas Crossroads pattern.  This is a variation on that idea that could use the blocks I already had on hand.
 The alternate blocks are quick and easy to make.  Each block takes four background squares that are 4.5 inches and 8 pink squares that are 2.5 inches.  They come together in a hurry using flip and sew corners.
Not being a big fan of pins, I use the very fancy glue stick basting method.  Just a little dab in near the corner will keep all the parts connected until they can get through the sewing machine.  Draw a line diagonally across the pink block and sew on the drawn line.  You can "double sew" if you desire, to yield bonus blocks for later use.
Flip and iron the corners and then check to make sure they line up before trimming away the bottom layer.  Each alternate block needs four of these squares.  
I was looking for a nice "hanging out on the couch" size quilt.  With a finished block size of 8 inches, a six by eight block arrangement should yield at quilt that is 48 by 64.  With a generous 6 inch border, the finished quilt will end up at 60 by 76 -- very snuggly right?  So to accomplish this, make 24 of the pink 16 patch blocks and 24 of the alternate blocks.  Easy right?  Especially if you keep some parts and pieces waiting in the wings.

So here's the summary
1. Make 24 blocks with 16 2.5 inch squares in the color of your choice.
5. Make 24 blocks with 4 background 4.5 inch squares that have two pink flip and sew corners. 

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea. Thanks for posting the tutorial.

Kat Scribner said...

Great post, Angela. I have been thinking that scrapping up with 4-patches is definitely not a waste of energy. Just need to decide on size - the 2.5 inch is a utility size.

Scrapatches said...

This is an excellent idea. Thanks for sharing ... :) Pat

Teresa in Music City said...

Thanks for sharing the details on this quilt Angela! I really do want to make several of this design - it's so simple and really gives results :*)

Kath said...

ah! I was wondering how you made the crosses on the machine, I've only done them with English paper piecing. I must get into the habit of this leader and ender idea now I know what it is :-)

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Very cool. Thanks for the tute.

Marei said...

Great looking quilt and easy peasy. I see one (or more!) of these in my future. Already have made up a bunch of 16 patches using 2" squares so I'll just do the math to make the "x" block. Thanks, Angela.

Deb A said...

Great tutorial! I cut a bunch of 3.5 inch squares by mistake a while ago... I think I'll make some small x's with them. Thanks for the idea.

Ellen said...

Thank you! It is perfect block for your leader/enders and it looks good too.

janequiltsslowly said...

I'm with Marei; I've been making 16-patches with 2" squares. I have over 80 made. they finish at 6" so I think I have to cut some 3.5" light blocks and do the corner flip with more 2" squares. What I really like about this is how the little corners make it look like there is a layered block underneath the 16-patch. Very cool. Thank you so much Angela for taking the time to give us the details.

Amy said...

Gotta love easy-peasy projects that lend themselves nicely to the Leader-Ender method :)
I heard a silly rumor that summer vacation is to last 6 months now, and school only 6 months too. Have you heard this??? ;) {{maybe I was dreaming}}

Candace said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I love the 16 patches, I need to get organized and do some leader ender 2 1/2 inch blocks and get another stash of them, it's great, you have a stack of them and you are half way to a quick quilt when you need them. I have made several, and this is another idea for the second block to go with them. Makes a cute quilt.

Kate said...

Great way to use your leaders and enders! Thanks for sharing.

Karen said...

What a great way to sure my scraps. Thanks for sharing.