Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Tiny Tuesday - Wonky Star

I thought a nice simple block was in order for this week.  Stars are always a favorite for me.  This one is an improvisational  version that comes together so quickly . 
 Gather together some squares.  The background squares are cut 2 inches and the star points can be anything between 1.5 and 2 inches in a square or rectangle.
Cutting:
8 squares of assorted background fabric 2 inches each
1 square of pink for the star center, also 2 inches
8 scraps of pink, about 1.75 inches square (exact size not important. 
 Start with 4 squares of background fabric and place a pink scrap in one corner.  Sew diagonally across the corner, no necessarily from corner to corner.  Try to get a little bit of variety of angles and sizes. 
 Fold the star points back and finger press to make sure that they cover the background fabric.  You can leave these untrimmed for now or iron and trim the pink fabric even with the background fabric. I chose to wait  because my iron is on a different floor from my sewing machine right now.  I know that sounds lazy, but I'm getting in over 50 flights a day at the moment.  Saving one or two of those  can't hurt. 
 Repeat the same procedure on the other corner. 
 Press at this point and make sure all your corners are covered. 
 Trim the pink so that it exactly covers the background square. 
 At this point you can either trim the background fabric away from behind the points or leave it in place.  It depends on how much you like to reduce bulk.  I'm a trimmer. 
 Now just arrange your star points around the center pink square and fill in the remaining background squares to make a nine patch. 
 Sew  the nine patch together and feel free to trim it up if it isn't quite 5 inches. 
Set it on the diagonal for the finished quilt and enjoy your quick and simple block.  I could make these all day!

11 comments:

grammajudyb said...

Oh yeah! I’ve been wanting to try a wonky star!! I was thinking a bit bigger, but I’m excited to do this one!!

Deb A said...

Love wonky stars. So pretty.

Susie H said...

I'm grateful for an easy block this month. I'm also grateful for the break in the heat FINALLY here in the Midwest!

Katie Z. said...

What a nice block! I just survived the piggy, so I’m ready for something less complicated.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Love, love, LOVE Wonky Star blocks!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love wonky stars! Thanks, Angela!

Sara said...

Very cute tiny block - or big block. Wonky stars are fun no matter what size.

MissPat said...

Gotta check the triangle cutoff box to see if there's any pink in there. Perfect use for cutoff triangles.
Pat

Mari said...

Love your star and hoping that all of your quilty pictures from now on will have an ocean backdrop. So pretty!

Vicki in MN said...

Those look like so much fun, kinda like potato chips-ya can't eat just one!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I think you need to bring that iron upstairs now.