Friday, January 1, 2021

Hashtag - Full Stop Block 1

Row 1 of the Full Stop Quilt is Hashtag.  It is honestly one of the most complex blocks I am planning.  I always have more energy at the start of a a year than at the end, so it is good to get the hard part done now.    
The hashtag is traditionally known as a number sign or a pound sign.  In recent years it has been adopted as a tag for social media posts.   While not properly a punctuation mark, I feel that it fits in well with our theme this year.   

You will need some 2 inch strips to start.   These will be cut into rectangles
From pink: 
  • 2 rectangles 6 inches by 2 inches
  • 2 rectangles 8 inches by 2 inches
From background:
  • 3 rectangles 6 inches by 2 inches

In addition to the block fabric, you will also need 4 rectangles for sashing.  These are 2 inches by 8 inches.   
Start with the short rectangles and lay them out, alternating between background and pink.   
Sew the strips together and sew toward the pink fabric.   If you are having trouble getting the strips sewn evenly, you can use rectangles which are a bit longer (such as 6.5 inches) and square the ends up during the next step.   

  
Make sure that the seams are all nice and parallel and cut this strip set into  three 2 inch strips.   The seams should be parallel and as even as possible.  
Now lay down the two longer rectangles in between the strip sets.   

Sew these 5 strips together to make your block.  Press again toward the pink fabric.   
Make 5 of these blocks and then assemble them into a row by sewing an  inch strip of background fabric between the blocks.  

Here is the finished row.   Mine ended up at about 45 inches, so I will eventually add a total of 19 inches of background fabric to either end.  I won't do that quite yet though.  I want to leave my layout options open for now.    

6 comments:

Michele McLaughlin said...

I like your tutorial!!! I like that you use 2 inch strips (most of the patterns I've seen use smaller pieces and I like the look of your size). Thanks for sharing! Happy New Year!

Julierose said...

Neat tutorial--I really like the "row" quilt idea...hugs Julierose

Libby in TN said...

This is going to be fun!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Fun! Thanks for the tutorial - I'm in!

cspoonquilt said...

Great block, looks like a lot of fun, I'm gonna try it! Happy New Year!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thanks for the tutorial, Angela! This project will be challenging for me to keep up with, but I just might have to add it to my list of RSC projects for 2021. (As if I didn't have enough planned with the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!!)