Sunday, January 3, 2021

Pink Play Day 3

 


We were off to a late start on our beach walk this morning.  It doesn't get as hot right now, so there isn't quite the same rush to get home before it is too warm.   
My husbands company sent a tin of peppermint bark as a holiday gift.  The peppermint bark is quite tasty of course, but look at that adorable tin!  It fits my hexies perfectly.   Am I the only one that gets a huge kick out of adorable containers?   I got a nice start on my pink hexies for this month and even cut a few more fabrics as I was sorting through the pink bin.  

 
There are lots of pinks in there, but they are all well sorted and organized.   I think that went through it when I made the bin during "safer at home" this summer.   I have dug out plenty for strips in all the sizes I need for this year's blocks.   
I still have quite a few crumbs to take care of though.  I think that they will get trimmed to 4 inches and framed with some white?  Maybe I will alternate white and black for a checkerboard?  Or maybe I will use cornerstones?   Playing with crumbs will be first on my list today.
Yesterday was all about getting new projects for 2021 organized and started.   I had quite a few empty bins waiting for projects and they are all sorted for my new projects.   I tend to work on a project for each strip size these days, so I continued with that plan.   The bins are numbered, labelled and ready to go with the appropriate strip size and partially assembled blocks.   
I have tutorials for most of my plans posted as links on the RSC21 page.   So after digging a bit deeper into Bonnie Hunter's Garden Party block, I found out that I had misjudged the dimensions a bit.   I remembered that it was based on a 1.5 inch base but that there were some slightly wider parts.  For some reason I was sure that the corners were wider.  Now that I look deeper, my block is not actually the same as Bonnie Hunter's block.  Thanks to Cathy for information on the original source of the pattern.  I found that the original quilt was in Quiltmaker #163 which was published in the May/June 2015 edition.   It is available on the Quilting Daily website as a digital download.    Still, rather than remaking the 12 blocks that I have already made, I am going to call mine Garden Trellis rather than Garden Party and just keep moving forward.  It is quite similar except that the flower petals are a bit thinner which will result in more negative space between the blocks.  
How are your 2021 plans starting to shape up?  I will link up at Oh Scrap!  and Kathy's Quilts to see what other scrap based and hand sewing projects are underway for the new year.   

14 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nice job on getting organized for RSC21, Angela. Are you the only one who gets excited about tins? Most definitely NOT the only one!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Looks like you've gotten all organized for 2021 sewing! I love the peppermint bark tin for your hexies - it's the perfect size!

kingdom quilter said...

I love tins!

Anonymous said...

Your pink hexies are awesome!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Ivani said...

Those bins are very clever way to have everything organized and ready for use.

Kim said...

It is always a beautiful day when one gets to play with pink fabric and pink hexies! LOVE those hexies. I too, adore beautiful tins. I seem to be always collecting them.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Looks like you are ready for the new year. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

Karrin Hurd said...

Looks like you are well organized for this new year! I love tins in particular for storing items! Happy stitching and Happy New Year!

MissPat said...

Of course quilters can find plenty of uses for tins. I have a few though that are hard to open, so they get set aside and become clutter. You're going to town getting started with the new year. Here's hoping the dang teaching job doesn't get in your way too much. Good luck with going back.
Pat

Quilter Kathy said...

I love collectible tins for projects and that one is adorable for hexie storage!

Vivian said...

This was a great organization post and love your hexies! Ahh, starting the year off with some empty project bins is my dream....for 2022, Lol! Bonnie's patterns are very forgiving and she would applaud you just taking it in whatever direction your piecing has lead you.

sunny said...

LOL! Much as I love peppermint bark, I do like the tin even better! And now I'm in the mood to make some pink hexies!!

Preeti said...

Those pink hexies are very cute. You are not alone. I save those cookie tins too :-)

Marcus Steve said...

I'm super excited to tell the public that I have been permanently cured from herpes by Dr Agbomina . I had herpes for years but everyone told me that there was no cure to it and every doctor I contacted failed to cure me until I contacted Dr Agbomina , he placed me on diet and also sent his medicine to me and today I'm free and my lab test confirmed it. You can contact Dr Agbomina via his WhatsApp +234(805)049-5479 or email: dragbonherbalmedicine@gmail.com You can visit his Website at https://dragbonherbalmedic.wixsite.com/welcometodoctoragbon