Thursday, November 11, 2021

A Much Needed Break

Today is a school holiday.   I can't remember looking forward to a day off quite this much in a very long time.  As much as things have settled down since a disastrous start of the year, things are still far from normal.   We had the news yesterday that Thanksgiving vacation has been extended by two days to give us the entire week off.   That was a nice surprise!   Two more days to sew and bake and spend time with the family.   My plan for today was to start to put together #FullStop.   It didn't quite come to a full stop, but it certainly has been delayed due to the unusual year so far.   So step one was to pull all the blocks together and start to puzzle them into rows.  Rather than making each block its own row, I decided to combine several of the shorter rows together.   At that point I decided that I would need two more question mark blocks.   The aqua month was a bit of a rush with Covid and tutoring.   

Putting together the blocks from my own tutorial was a bit of fun!  Always nice to make sure that everything is clearly written.  The two extra blocks came together quite quickly.   
After that, I had to make a decision as to how wide the quilt would be.  I chose the quotations to be the longest row.  After carefully pressing, I measured it at 47.5 and decided that all the rows would be pieced to that target.   
So far all of the full rows are pressed, trimmed and measure at a perfect 47.5 inches.   In general, I've just been adding a skinny strip to one end and then a longer strip to the other and marking it to trim to the desired width.   I've just now run out of grey background fabric and will have to let the rest wait until Tuesday at the earliest.  Monday is our grand championship match for academic team.  That will be our last match and I have volunteered NOT to coach the state team this year which means that I will have my Mondays back again.   Now if I can only offload some of my tutoring jobs I will begin to have some free time again.  Speaking of which, I have a Zoom session starting in 7 minutes and should get set up for that.  

I hope that everyone is looking forward to the coming holiday season.   As busy as it has been, it will be nice to have a bit of down time at home.   





 

8 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Glad to see you sewing your Veteran's Day holiday away, Angela! Well, at least part of it. :o))

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

how nice to get the extra time for Thanksgiving - maybe they want to give the schools an extra good cleaning - or that they just appreciate all of you working through Covid?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Sounds like you had a lovely day! I'm looking forward to seeing how you put Full Stop together. Making the the final row is still on my list!

Susie H said...

Glad you got a well-deserved, much-needed break.

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Your Full Stop top design is terrific. I'm glad you had a day break and that you have carved a little more time to spend in your happy place. Teachers work way harder than people think.

kingdom quilter said...

So interesting to hear how your school year is progressing. I’m a retired teacher living in VT. I have been joining in on your scrappy quilts for about 5 years now although not this year. Looking forward to a new quilt along in 2022. Hopefully things will have settled down by then.

Ivani said...

Looking forward for seeing your finished lay out for Fullstop quilt.
Horaay for your free time back. Enjoy!

Kathy S. said...

Woohoo on the extra two days off during Thanksgiving break. You definitely deserve it.

The Full Stop quilt is coming along so nicely. Can't wait to see all of the interpretations. I have a little catching up to do. I'll get there.