Saturday, November 27, 2021

Holiday Weekend

 What a lovely vacation week.   The kids have all been home to visit.  Anna even brought her new boyfriend.  Everyone helped out with making the holiday meal.   

As they get older, I realize that it is going to get harder to gather everyone together at the same time. That makes each holiday even more special.  Anna and Sydney will both graduate in May.  Sydney will be off to college after that.  Anna is busy applying for graduate school.  Ryan still has at least two semesters to finish his degree.  This is what is supposed to happen, but it is still a lot of change!
Today I will sew and reflect.   I've been slowly adding crumb block rows to this quilt.  I'm thinking of shortening the name to just Pearls.  I'm on a string of one word quilt names lately.   

These lattice and blossom blocks make the official last of my 2021 projects waiting to be crossed off the list.  Each size of strip or square had a quilt.  This one used the 1.5 in variety.   
I am already starting to plan the year in review post to come soon and letting choices for the 2022 run through my mind.   I am guessing that lots of people will be doing Bonnie Hunter's free mystery starting yesterday. I really like her color choices this year.   I will skip the shiny new temptation again this year in favor of finishing ongoing projects.    Getting this year's quilts done is the only thing that lets me plan next year's quilts without feeling completely overwhelmed.  Misterlinky is below so that we an all follow your end of the year progress as well.   It won't be long before we can begin to see some fresh starts.






10 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love your family photo on the beach! These holidays where everyone can still come home are precious times. Enjoy your sewing days this weekend!

maggie fellow said...

I didn't handle empty nest so well- I just had a wave of sadness over thanksgiving and it has been 5 years - love your projects and thank you again for all the happy of rsc

Sara said...

So glad you have some quality time with the whole family.

Seeing folks starting to put lots of RSC blocks together reminds me that I have a big set of blocks too, just waiting to become a flimsy.

Deb A said...

Great family photo! It is always fun to start to think of the next years blocks....

Julierose said...

What a lovely family you have gathered there!!
I like the Pearls quilt a lot--such fun to use up all those crumbs...
hugs Julierose

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Happy Thanksgiving weekend! Beautiful photo on the beach, and so much progress on your quilts. I love that each size of strip or square had a quilt, and all of them are gorgeous.

Kathy S. said...

That's so sweet that you got your whole family together. Yes, cherish these moments! My rule of thumb is that if I have four or more Bonnie Hunter quilts in progress that I cannot start another. I still have Unity, Box Kites, Scrappy Trip, and Good Fortune that need finished. That's too many. I too must pass on this new, shiny mystery quilt. BUT I am printing out all the instructions... just in case. LOL.

I love your Garden Party quilt. The colors are bright and springy. I like the way the greens are far enough away from each other that you sometimes have to look to see the chain of greens. It makes my eyes go back and forth. Nice!

The Joyful Quilter said...

SEW glad to hear that you are enjoying your holiday week, Angela!!

Marly said...

Wow! There are so many crumb blocks in your Pearls quilt. What's the secret? It took me a whole week to make just eight! I can't imagine how long making enough for a whole quilt would take. You've made them into a stunning design.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

So glad you were all able to be together! and right> you want them to grow up and have fun, but really? do they have to leave haha!!! Sounds like everyone is moving on!

I was thinking of doing the mystery - but like you, need to focus on the things I already have in progress.... but I'll be saving the clues just in case I change my mind