Saturday, January 6, 2024

ScrapHappy Saturday #1 of 2024

 Welcome to a brand new year of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  Where people come to find inspiration and motivation to use up scraps.  To avoid drowning in all the scrap happiness, we only sew with one color at a time.   A new year is a chance for many people to start new projects.  For some it is a chance to refocus and make a plan for finishing ongoing projects.  Please start this year by sharing your plan for using scraps in 2024.   If you have more than one quilt in the works, Stephanie has designed a Planning sheet available in a word or a PDF format.  You can keep track digitally or print out a nice color copy to track progress on your projects each month.   The links are posted on the RSC24 tab at the top in case you want to get it later.

I lost my life work balance last year and did not finish any of my new projects.  My main goal  for this year is to fill in the missing colors and put together some flimsies while quilting some of the backlog that has been waiting for me to have a dedicated space to set up my handiquilter on a permanent basis.  

My one new indulgence will be the Hen & Chicks RSC24 Sampler Quilt.  As the hostess, I won't have the luxury of procrastination and so will be sure to keep up with that one regularly.  I will try to work ahead on that one during school breaks, just in case.  I have the first 3 blocks ready to go and will finish up the last for January as soon as I can unearth my easy angle ruler this morning to make a few Half Square Triangle units.  There is a button for both the Sampler quilt and the Rainbow Scrap Challenge in the right hand column if you want a quick link to bring you back to this blog or to the Sampler Quilt page.   Just copy the HTML code below the image and paste it into and HTML widget in the side column of your own blog.  I spent way too many hours this week remembering how coding works because of changes in the photo sharing process of blogger since I did the process last year.   Any skill only used once a year is a bit iffy for me.
So welcome to those who are new this year, and welcome back to those who are returning after a scrap build up break from rainbow blocks.   We are sewing green this month.  I have enough green that I will be saving some of the more pastel shades for later.   How are your greens looking?  Misterlinky is below, please post a link to your post discussing green, scraps, rainbow quilts or plans for the new year.  Be sure to come back later to see what others are posting.  My best sources of inspiration are always seeing the beauty and variety of projects coming out of your scrap bins.    


13 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your blocks for the sampler are cute as can be! My green scraps, however, are a little on the low side. I might have to find some somewhere! Happy New Year, Angela!

Sara said...

Thanks for hosting this again this year!! It's one of my very favorite things!!

Kate said...

I'll be playing along with my Wild and Goosey blocks this year. No new starts unfortunately.

Chantal said...

Here's to another great productive year! Although I'm trying to work on UFOs more than on new projects, I appreciate you doing this for another year. Thanks! You're the best! ;^)

Cathy said...

Thanks, Angela, for hosting the RSC again this year. I can’t imagine my sewing life without thinking in terms of the rainbow color of the month. This is such a wonderful community! Happy New Year!!

Pat at Bell Creek Quilts said...

Thank you for hosting again this year! It really helps to keep focus on using my scraps and crumbs~

Mary R. said...

Thanks for hosting this -- I have followed it on various blogs but never joined. I would like to jump in this year, but I wasn't able to get the thumbnail part of the linky to take. My post is at https://urbanquilternh.blogspot.com/2024/01/rainbow-scrap-challenge-2024-january.html

The Joyful Quilter said...

Thank you for inviting us back for another RSC fun, Anela!!

Anna said...

I plan to participate in the RSC for the first time this year. I’m doing small or single blocks to make a table runner because I have so many UFO’S. I don’t want to feel overwhelmed

The Cozy Quilter said...

You have lots of green scraps! Great little blocks you are sharing. I need to get my scraps out for this year’s projects.

Sharon said...

Thanks for hosting RSC again this year! I've enjoyed working through my scraps, one color at a time. I hope that your spring semester will feel more settled; I totally understand the difficulty of that work/life balance. Happy New Year to you!

Jan said...

Thanks for hosting RSC. Its such an encouragement to play with & use up my scraps & love seeing what everyone makes each week.

Marsha Cooper said...

Looking forward to the RSC challenge as it's been a couple years or so since I've done it. I have in mind what I want to make each month with the color of the month.