Friday, January 5, 2024

RSC24 Hen & Chicks Block 3 - Rail Fence

 


Another easy block with greens.  It uses the same strip sizes as the postage stamp block, but with half the cutting.   I keep wanting to use some HST units, but so far my easy angle ruler is missing in action.  I know there are so many other ways to make HST blocks, I will have to use one of those if some studio organization doesn't turn the missing ruler.  It is even more embarrassing when I admit that I have two easy angle rulers and they are both AWOL.  


The width of your strip will depend on the desired block size.  I did the math for you in the chart.  To know how long the strips need to be, just multiply the sub cut length by the nine section you will need.  Those numbers seemed pretty long to me, so I divided each strip set into three sections to make everything a bit easier to manage.  Then I added in a bit of wiggle room in case you need to straighten up some edges.  Use the cutting chart above to plan, but feel free to adjust so that you can use your own scraps most efficiently.  

Start with three strips of dark and three strips of light.  The example block uses 1.5 inch strips that are 8 inches long.  

Sew the dark and light strips together and press the seams toward the dark fabric.  
Square up the end and then sub cut each strip into three sections.  The example block is 2.5 inches which should be the same as the width of the strip set.  
After cutting all three strip sets, you will have 9 sections.  
Alternate them with the seams running horizontally then vertically keeping the green on the bottom and right of each set.  You could also keep the green on the top and left, the key is to keep a consistent orientation of the colors so that you get a stairstep effect when the blocks come together.  
Sew the sections together as you would any nine patch and press the top and bottom seams toward the center and the middle row away from the center of the block.  


Link to PDF of Rail Fence Pattern






2 comments:

maggie fellow said...

are you making 4 of each color for each block or 4 different blocks of color per month

Quilter Kathy said...

I love this block! I think I found my new 2024 RSC project... thank you for the inspiration!