Saturday, September 4, 2010

Seriously?

32 little wedges to applique onto 32 little triangles to be sewn together into a 5 inch square? Who thinks of these things? I didn't like the idea of applique on the long bias edge of a triangle, so I cut squares 1.625 inches each and put a long skinny piece in the middle and a quarter circle in a corner. I made four of those and then sewed it together into a four patch. I'll applique those little suckers down and then make three more just like it. Comparing my little bits to the picture, I think my applique shapes are a little big. Maybe from the round of patterns I printed with the wrong printer settings. I like the way that the two pieces meet in the middle though. I think it makes the pattern look a little more like more deliberate. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
We were supposed to travel up to Atlanta this weekend to see my side of the family. Kurt is sick though and hacking and miserable looking. I was pretty sure that we would all be the same way after 16 hours in a car together. Also, Zach is still medically fragile and I couldn't bear the thought of bringing our germs up to him. There are two more three day weekends between now and Thanksgiving though, so we will make the trip sometime soon. That does mean I have time this weekend to do some sewing. First I'd better do the yard and the laundry and hang out with the kids a while, but sewing is definitely on my list somewhere. I hope everyone else has lots of fun projects lined up. Holiday's are a very good thing.

4 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

OH my goodness!!! I think that block needs a little modification to make 1 of the squares the size of the block.... Those pieces are just ridiculously small!!! And I am not even an appliquer!!!

Good luck!!

Amanda said...

The very best of luck with that one - I'm sure you'll manage it.

Andee said...

All I can say is WOW!

Amy said...

It's either my mathematical mind working, or the side of my mind that wants to simplify difficult tasks....but.....I'm wondering if there is a way to make a larger square with a circle in the center; then cut down the middle in both directions to produce those smaller squares with the quarter-circle in the corner of each...THEN, applique that sliver piece from corner-to-corner of the smaller squares...and v'iola?

NOT that I'll get to that one anytime soon! ;0)