Thursday, January 2, 2014

Filling in the Details

So as people are starting to join in to the idea of a Rainbow Scrap Sampler, they are asking for more details.   I have the first 4 blocks ready to go and scheduled to post in the next few days. So far I have made a short tutorial for each block with photos, measurements and directions.  If I find a tutorial out there that is already done, I might link to that when things get hectic as they sometimes do.
I would like to do 1 - 3 blocks each week for a total of 50 to 100 blocks by the end of the year.  I will try to spread them out to give everyone a nice assortment of patterns and colors by the end of the year.  Each block will be 6.5 inches unfinished and 6 inches in the finished quilt.   So far I have chosen simple traditional blocks that are scrap friendly.  As the patterns come out I will set up a page with links to make them easier to find.  I will even try to set up a group page on Pinterest.

So now, my questions to those who are thinking about joining in:
Do you want a regular release day for patterns or random surprises as they are done?
Are there any special blocks or patterns that you would like to see included in the quilt?
How do you feel about non-traditional patterns?
Any other suggestions?  This is the first time I've done any sort of quilt-along, so I'm open to your ideas.

Oh, BTW, Sewing in CT, you are coming up as noreply so I could not answer your e-mail directly.


16 comments:

Quilter Kathy said...

I think you should do whatever is easiest for you!
And I love surprises, so when patterns pop up, it will be fun if it's random :)
Looking forward to another great scrappy challenge year with you!

Marly said...

I agree with Kathy; you choose. As long as the blocks aren't so complex they can't be done in a week. I'm eager to get started.

Andee said...

I may just try to do the ones I really love, I have so much I want to do...hope I don't love them all, lol!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I'm intrigued and will probably be glad I haven't cut up my scraps for the last year yet like I usually do! I also think you should do what is easiest for you.

Amanda said...

I agree with the others. It's all meant to be just a bit of fun, so don't make life difficult for yourself, who knows what school's going to throw at you. But if you come across some non-traditional blocks I'd love to see them.

Sherry said...

I would like to join in. A set release date would let me put it on my calendar but that may be a bit restrictive for you. Actually anything would be great for me.

Angie said...

Agreeing with the others - do what is easiest for you! If a new block pops up and I have the free time, I'll probably try to at least get started. If I can't do the blocks as they pop up, I'll catch up on the weekends. Looking forward to this!

Kat Scribner said...

I will do some of the blocks, I will branch into some of my own things too; either way, this challenge is always a great inspiration.

Ellen said...

I think you should do what suits you. I would like it to be fun and stress-free for you too!

Sheila said...

Sounds like fun. I'm in. Post the blocks whenever you want :D

Katie Z. said...

Random is great. I love stars and don't mind if there are no traditional blocks!

Terri said...

I'm just hoping to follow along with one pattern and the colors - like the years before. I'm thinking the Roman Stripe, or Rail Fence. I really have never cared for sampler quilts... except for the Midget and Dear Jane's... and I'm just not up to making those either. Too many quilts, not enough time.
Hugs

Elly D said...

Just seen this. Neat idea Angela :) The first year I joined in with your RSC, a couple years ago, I did a few blocks in the monthly colours but didn't get far. It would be nice to add to them with some of the ones you post. I'm also hoping to add a few more blocks for the 'boxed in' project which I started last year.

Anonymous said...

I prefer regular release dates and I'm up for modern stuff. But really...it's all up to you. We will just follow your lead. :)

Jo said...

I will enjoy following whatever you do

Kate said...

I'll just sat ditti to all of the above.