Monday, January 27, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - 36 Patch

I totally cheated on this block.  I have a bin of nine patches made from 1.5 inch strips hanging out in my closet waiting to be turned into a quilt.  I dug though looking for blue nine patches and came up with these four.  
Notice that two of the nine patches have dark corners and two of them have light corners.

In case you don't have a bin of ready made nine patches, I'll do the math so you can make your nine patches from scratch.  You will need three blue strips and three white strips.  Each will need to be at least 9 inches long.  Make one strip set that has two blues and white in the middle and one that has two white strips with a blue in the middle.  Press toward the dark and sub cut into 1.5 inch sections.  Use smaller strip sets for more color variety or sew individual 1.5 inch squares together if you prefer.

Sew the four nine patches together so that the white and blue squares alternate.  Your unfinished block will be 6.5 inches.  

12 comments:

Katie Z. said...

Great! I have a pile of four patches I've been mindlessly sewing together, and they're the right size for this block!

Andee said...

Great I will have something to sew which watching Quilt Cam tonight...I am getting off work early later, yay!

Deb A said...

Good thing I have been cutting the pile of blues on the floor into 1.5 inch strips (and 2,2.5,3.5!).
I'll have to sew a bit tomorrow so I am all caught up again.

Teresa in Music City said...

It has been fun to see how many are having a ball with your sampler blocks Angela! Great job - they're really, really cute!!!

Deb A said...

PURPLE? I thought pink at first but asked Aidan and he said 'Mom, that's purple!'.

Katie Z. said...

Ooh... I still see mostly pink. Which is it?

Sheila said...

Pink! Yah!

Elly D said...

We'll it took me a couple of reads to figure what the 'cheat' bit was LOL! It works for me ;). I think you are teasing us having a pink background to your post and purple in the outer borders LOL.

Unknown said...

fun fun!!! I NEED TO GET busy on this
the month is almost over

Kat Scribner said...

LOL. I'm glad to read the comments as I thought it was my monitor screen - I was seeing pink and purple too. Well, maybe we should mix them up together, yea!

Cathy Tomm said...

I think I will dig out my Purple today. I have at least one little purple thing that I did not do last year and is on my list. If I am wrong and it is pink I will switch.

Kate said...

I've had a great time making these scrappy blocks. Thanks for posting these.