Friday, January 31, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Baby Nines

I am totally cheating again with this block. There have to be some advantages to having SO many projects in progress, right?
I've been making these baby nine patches for about a year now.  I have them in most of the colors of the rainbow.  Someday they will make a fabulous rainbow quilt.  Until then though, why not put a few to good use?
Each nine patch is made using 1 inch strips.  You will need at least three strip sets that are a minimum of 8 inches long.  Shorter sets with different fabrics will give you more variety.  Two sets should be dark light dark and the other should be light dark light.  Sub-cut each strip set into one inch segments.  I know if seems tiny, but the seam allowances nestle nicely on the backs.  Really, they do.
Make 8 adorable little nine patches.
You will also need 8 squares of background fabric.  I chose a solid light pink.
Alternate the nine patches with the solid squares and sew together as four patches.  Press toward the solid squares when possible.  


Sew the four patches together to make a finishes 16 patch which should measure 6.5 inches unfinished.  

15 comments:

Dasha said...

Cheating or not, you were sure quick to get this up and going! Those 9 patches are waaay too tiny for me to play with. Sorry!

Dasha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julierose said...

Adorable little nine patchers! This is also perfect for Valentine's Day, don't you think? Hugs, Julierose

Jo said...

Wow they are tiny.

Gina said...

tiny pieces. Are going to be fun to put together xxx

sophie said...

Those are some teeny tiny 9-patches ... they look great in your block.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Oh my! I get a little frazzled with 1.5" strips but I'm game to try ONE at least.

Terri said...

Love this pattern and the color PINK! So sweet.
Hugs

Deb A said...

1 inch strips! Yikes... that is tiny. I'm game - I'll give it a shot the next time I am allowed into the sewing room =).

Karen said...

These are adorable. They would make great doll quilts.

KatieQ said...

I love the blocks, but working with 1 inch strips would give me hives.

Angie said...

What could be simpler than a 9 patch? Hahahaha! That was fun, but I don't want to do it again!

Lisa said...

Eek they were tiny

Kate said...

Those are tiny 9 patches. I'm not sure I can work that small!

Quilting Nonnie said...

Whoa! That is a wonderful block. I looked a lot of places like Block Base, Bonnie Hunter's quilts and the blocks in Farmer's Wife and couldn't find a match for your block. It's similar to Railroad but it has HST where your plain squares are. You've got me stumped! Beautiful block!