Sunday, October 17, 2010

Out of Order Applique

Before we took off for our 14 hours of driving this weekend, I had the sense to grab a couple of applique blocks and throw them into a bag on the way out the door. In a perfect world I would have spent a couple of hours getting everything prepped and ready, but at least I had the raw materials to make a little handwork possible.
With the midget blocks all sorted into tidy little page protectors, it was a fairly simple procedure to thumb through until some likely candidates appeared.
Not much was accomplished on the way north on Thursday night. Thursday was quite a day and I was happy enough to spend some time catching up and chatting with the family. Kurt and I started talking about work and life and politics and before I knew it we were pulling into the driveway at midnight.I did manage to steal a few minutes away over the weekend to do a little ironing and cutting so I could get something done on the way home. The kids were pretty well zoncked after a weekend of fun with their cousins, allowing me to get quite a bit done.
Blocks 38 and 56 got appliqued and block 58 was started.

Block 58 is a little crazy. I had a little trouble getting the shapes even and the fabric attached, but I'm determined to make this little block anyway. Each hexagon finishes at about half an inch and there seem to be about 70 of them in the block. I think I'll end up appliqueing the medallion onto a background square. The picture of the original seems to have just chopped off the extra blocks around the edges and I can't quite bring myself to do that.


Andee said...

Perserverance pays off!

Linda Lee said...

I enjoy watching as you create your midget blocks. The blue flowers on are great. I love they way they are framed on each hexagon.

I smiled when I looked at the position her daughter was in for sleeping in the van.

Have a great week.

Micki said...

That is a gorgeous midget block!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

Congrats on getting a little sewing done! Those hexagons are tiny!! I think I will be substituing a block for that one! ;)