Friday, July 4, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Starz

There are so many cute asterisk blocks out there these days.  A quick google image search will yield plenty of variations.  I also like the spokes version that it the July block at Block Lotto.  I worked up a quick 6 inch version today in honor of Independence Day for those of us in the US.
I started with a 6.25 inch square of fabric.  I really wanted to find a 6.5 or even 7 inch square, but I was working with scraps, and this was what I found in the scrap basket.  It wasn't until I sat down to type of the directions that it occurred to me that I could have started with two rectangles that were each 3.5 by 7.  That definitely would have given me a little more room for error.  In addition to that you will need 4 strips of contrasting fabric that are 1.25 inches wide.  These work out just right if you take 2.5 inch strips you have on hand and cut them in half.  Two strips should be about 8 inches long, and the other two should be about 11 inches long.
Start by cutting your square in half.  Insert one of the short rectangles and sew half of the square on each side.  Try to keep the edges even.  (Especially if you have a smallish square to start).  This isn't meant to be a "perfect points" block, but it isn't deliberately wonky either.    Press the edges in toward the center.
Cut your block in half perpendicular to the first cut.  Insert the other short rectangle and again, sew one half of the block to each side.
Try again to keep the edges lined up, but don't worry too much if it isn't exactly perfect.
Now cut the block in half along one diagonal.  Insert a long rectangle and sew on each side.
Press toward the middle and repeat.  Though it would reduce some bulk to press out, I think the seam allowances make the star look like it is ready to "pop" off the block.
Cut from corner to corner the other way and insert the last rectangle of contrasting fabric.
This is where I really held my breath and hoped that my block was going to be big enough.  It was -- just barely!  Starting with a larger base square would give you more room to "play" in the final square up.
Trim the finished block to 6.5 inches.  If you look really closely at the center, you can see that it doesn't all line up just right, but I think it works out just fine in the end.  

5 comments:

Sheila said...

Fun Star!

Cinder Gal said...

This is a fun block to make. Thanks for reducing it to 6.5" for our sampler.

Deb A said...

I see I have two blocks to make for tomorrow. I'd better get busy.

Kate said...

Another fun block, I need to get back to my sewing room or I'm really going to be behind.

Jo said...

This is a really fun block. I love it