Sunday, July 20, 2014

Slowdown Sunday

 I had to smile when I saw Kathy's post this morning about hand sewing on vacation.  We are just back from a family trip to Hilton Head South Carolina and I did indeed bring along handwork for the car.  I was SO close to finishing up the center blocks for Dear Jane.  I had just these two little blocks to go when I heard a pitiful little voice from the backseat asking if I was going to be done with that quilt soon because Sydney was cold.  Of course I immediately took out my needle and passed it back.  I'll be able to start on the border soon which is pretty exciting to me.
 So instead I pulled out this little stack of basket blocks that gotten put away and forgotten about for a while.  I had seen pretty little applique baskets on several different sites but didn't have a pattern.  So I drafted my own and got these blocks done before getting sidetracked again.  There are a few more ready to be sewn so they will be ready to go for the next trip.
Back on the home front it has been craft crazy around here.  I am having a blast sewing little zipper pouches in all of the colors of the rainbow.  The little round ones are for headphones, the smaller boxy ones are for charging chords and the large boxy ones are for bathroom things on trips.  Though the purple paperweights might become a take along sewing kit.  Anna also wanted a pencil pouch for school, so that is the flat purple one on the upper right.  I still have a few more ideas pinned to my Hold it ALL page on Pinterest, so you might be seeing more bags in the near future.  I've gotten quite handy with zippers, and even did a covered end on my last project -- fancy, right?  Last but not least is some lip balm that the girls and I made together.  Summer is so much fun!  I wish I could have it all year long.  

12 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wow you have been very busy. Just so you know I bought a couple of zippers. LOL Love seeing your little baskets again.

Chantal said...

I do that too, draft my own pattern when I can't find one. Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I have to say they are adorable little baskets and look so dainty. How big is the background piece? Just lovely.

Rebecca in AK said...

Sounds like your Jane quilt is already being put to good use! Very cute baskets! I sure like all your little zippered pouches! Now if they can just hang on to them!

Dasha said...

I always take sewing projects with me on holidays! My project is usually the first thing packed. I find I can't stitch in the car, but the plane is fine, and while I'm away I get a lot done. When I used to knit, that was always my car project. I also pack a small portable halogen lamp as the lights in accommodation is uniformly terrible.

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I always bring a handwork project on all vacations. Plus, I usually leave one in my car too. I never know when I will be stranded somewhere and need something to pass the time. I am jealous you can stitch in the car, it just makes me super motion sick!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Many lovely projects here...love having to pass the quilt back for a warm-up! :)

Kate said...

Lots of fun projects. The bags are really cute.

I can't stitch in the car, it makes me car sick for some reason. I sure wish I could though, I'd get a lot done when we are on the road.

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Hilton Head? Ahhh, my favorite place in the whole wide world! We're about 13 hours from there, so I take along hand work for the ride ... and for when we sit out by the pool.

I just adore your little basket blocks ... I love baskets and need to add a basket quilt to my list. ;-)

Andee said...

Way to go...you are all set for travel!

Deb A said...

Love those basket that keep popping up. Darn it.... might have to be next years hand work project! The zipper bags look great... you can never have too many. Great gifts too!

CathieJ said...

You have a lot of great sewing going on. I love the basket you designed. That is going to be a great quilt. Great little pouches also. So colorful.

Bonnie said...

What a cute bunch of pouches. Where'd you find the pattern for the earbud holder?