Saturday, January 4, 2014

First ScrapHappy Saturday of 2014

Welcome to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge of 2014.  This is the weekly linky party for anyone trying to use up scraps in the colors of the rainbow throughout the year.  I am SO excited to see the wonderful collection of projects, blocks and plans that people have started for the new year.  If you haven't settled on a scheme for the year, feel free to look around at what other people have going on.  There is always an inspiring array of projects to enjoy.
I'll be continuing with several ongoing projects from last year as well as starting a couple of new things.  This week I've been working on a stack of blue crumb blocks from last year.  Having already done a quilt or two with square crumb blocks, I thought it would be fun to try cutting some blocks into diamonds instead.  Not sure yet what these will become, but for now I will begin a little collection of blocks and let them simmer.  
I've also been working on making some rainbow sampler blocks for my new 6 inch rainbow sampler.  I've got a nice little stack of these going and have scheduled some tutorials for anyone who wants to make some of the same blocks.  The math of 6 inch blocks is actually kind of fun.  I'm starting to understand why it is such a  popular size for sampler quilts.
This year, blue is the color for January.  Blue is usually a HUGE color in quilter's stashes and scrap baskets.  To keep it from feeling too overwhelming, we will be breaking it down into smaller groups.  First we will focus on the bright and dark end of the blue spectrum.  Try to save the pastels and green tinted blues for later in the year.
For anyone interested in the fabric giveaways that are new this year, I'll open the drawing a week before the end of the month and announce the winner on the last Saturday of each month.  The fabrics are beautiful hand dyes from Vicki Welsh, our first ever Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sponsor.  You should visit her at her blog, or check out the fabric that she has for sale.  She will also be participating in the challenge this year, and has a couple of great projects planned.

How about you?  Ready to share your progress so far.  Just add a link to your blog post using the tool below.

27 comments:

Sharon said...

Love your blocks! I'm still trying to settle on what I want to do for the challenge. I love the look of these blocks, though, so maybe I'll just have to do more than one project :)

Jo said...

I have started with both the challenge and sampler, of course, In BLUE?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the blog
I had been looking for it and I found here
may be useful for many people
I would like to subscribe to your feed via email article but I do not find the box you subscribe feed
Gambar Tanpa Sensor Dunia Malam Cerita Asmara Cerita Dewasa Bintang Malam Cerita Dewasa Terbaru

Elly D said...

Good morning Angela, love your little crumb blocks. I'm making a little project with blues which require playing with crumbs and making a fabric slab. It is a lot of fun.
This year I'm planning on completing enough blocks for a 'boxed in' block quilt. Also have some more little cross blocks to make and anything else is possible. ;) Thank you for running this fun challenge again for us all to enjoy.

Ellen said...

Looking forward to another great year!!

Julie in GA said...

I love your little crumb diamonds. They will be a very interesting change from squares.
Looks like there are going to be quite a few new folks joining the RSC. I'm so glad you have kept it going and look forward to seeing everyone's projects.

Pumlans flitiga fingrar said...

I started to make some blue scrappy and very wonky stars. I look forward to see your and the other peoples Projects.

Cathy said...

I'm glad you are hosting again. It really helped me get get some scraps cleared out...but I think I made enough quilts to create more scraps to replace the ones I used up.

You look like you are off to a good start with those diamonds. They look like they will make a fun quilt.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love the Crumb blocks - This is the first time joining in. I hope to make a dent lol

Sheila said...

Thank you for hosting another RSC year, Angela. And thank you for posting 6.5" sampler blocks. I have created more scraps during the year so I'm good to go.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Glad that I joined up this year. Such wonderful projects! Tempted to start a second project, I have been totally motivated!

Tosty's Quilting Tidbits said...

Love your blocks. This is my first year doing this. I hope to get a lot of scraps taken care of. I may end up re-doing these blocks cause I'm not happy with them, but it's a start.

Char said...

Hoping to keep up this year.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

OOPSSS. sorry about the double link up...lin ky was acting wierd, :)

Julianne said...

Love love love what everyone is doing...so fun!

Terri said...

Sew fun to see what everyone is doing. I thought I'd join in, but just pushed through on the current project. (Maybe this afternoon...)
Thanks for hosting again, Angela. Love this Sat. morning stop.
Hugs

Quiltdivajulie said...

So far, so good . . . we'll see how well I do at keeping up with the monthly color challenges!

Angie said...

It's so much fun to see everyone's scrappy inspiration!

Nancie said...

Thank you for your encouragement to help me use up my scraps. I like the idea of focusing on one color per month.

Jo said...

I just put a new link up. It's my first time doing this and I realised I had put a link to my blog not my post so have done it again.
Thanks for the time to learn

newsurfiegirl said...

Thanks for organising this challenge. I am hoping to use up some of my scraps by participating. Love the blocks so far!

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

WOW it is Sunday the 5th and not even lunchtime yet, and there are already 36 link ups!!!! Woo Hoo, Use those scraps!

Terri said...

I tried and tried (probably more than 8 times) to get my picture to upload. I even took a second picture and tried to retrieve it from my computer, but to no avail. Just couldn't use the linky. Got any advise?
Hugs

Krista said...

This is my first time linking up - I'm looking forward to working my way through a rainbow of scraps this year.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited to be joining this year in the RSC. I just love looking at everyone's projects!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi. Found your site just in time to start with the RSC in the first days of January. Next time i can show same blue things, too. Thanks for hosting.

Kate said...

Love all the pretty blues.