Thursday, January 2, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Half Square Triangles

This is block number one of a 6 inch sampler quilt for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2014.
The current plan is to make several blocks each month using the RSC Challenge color.  The finished blocks will all go together into a sampler quilt at the end of the year.  Anyone else want to play along?
 This one is a simple nine patch formation, so to make a 6 inch finished block, each section needs to be 2.5 inches unfinished.  First grab two strips of blue that are 2.5 inches.
 Stack these right sides together and then cut into triangles using the easy angle ruler.  You will need nine.
 Sew these along the hypotenuse using a quarter inch seam.  Press the seams to the dark fabric and remove the dog ears.
 Arrange the half square triangle units as shown.
Sew them together and press carefully. Your finished block should be 6.5 inches unfinished which will be 6 inches in the finished quilt.

11 comments:

Ellen said...

I'll play!

Deb A said...

I'm in.

Teresa in Music City said...

Sounds like fun! I'll have to play when I can though - maybe I'll make a mini-quilt :)

Andee said...

Oh boy, I hate to add another NewFo to my list but if I find the time I might play along too..your little blocks are always so cute!

Angie said...

Great idea - I'm in!

Dar said...

I'm playing in the RSC14 challenge, but making my blocks bigger -- it uses up my scraps faster. lol I like your fabrics. Mine are old -- like ancient!

Sewing In CT said...

I'll try to join in - looks like fun. How many blocks per month/color?
You said sampler so I am guessing there will be other styles?

Mystic Quilter said...

Great idea - count me in with the sampler blocks.
I also would echo the questions posed by Sewing in CT.

Kate said...

Maybe? Depends on what DT has going on this month once school starts up. She has a science fair project to finish and I think I got volunteered to be the "qualified" scientist for one of her classmates.

newsurfiegirl said...

I'm in and will be getting to it asap!

stephanie @ Luckystarquilts said...

I'm in! I have a lot of catching up to do but I also have way too many scraps so I would love to use them up. Thanks for hosting!