Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler - Donut

OK, full disclosure. This is really a shoofly block.  The color placement is quite different than the last block we did though, and I wanted to add this to the collection.
As we are working on a nine patch grid, each subunit will be 2.5 inches unfinished.  I had quite a time finding background colors that would work with red.  Because red will be next to black in the finished quilt, I chose to mix the two in this block.
Start with 2.5 inch strips of black and red  placed right sides together.  Use the easy angle ruler to cut four pairs of triangles.
Next cut one black square and four red squares.

Sew the HST units, trim dog ears and press toward the black. Next arrange your units into a 3 by 3 grid.  The black square forms the center while the HST units are at the corners with the black facing out.
Here is how I sew nine patches.  Fold the second row on top of the first.
Next, stack your blocks up and head off to the sewing machine.  Chain piece the pairs and then keep them linked together while attaching the last row.  This is the easiest way I've found to keep all the pieces arranged just right.
And here is the finished block.  it really doesn't look at all like a shoofly to me, even though the pieces are the same.  

6 comments:

Gina said...

I love the way that just by altering fabric placement you can get a whole new block xx

Needled Mom said...

It would make a great "hug" block too!

Deb A said...

That could be a whole scrappy quilt! I am digging through the closet to find the appliqué glue and am finding tons of scraps.... I swear they are multiplying at night.

Kate said...

A fun and easy block. My favorite kind, no matter the name.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

It does look like a donut! Fabric placement means a lot in this one.

Lisa said...

It looks like an ANZAC Day poppy to me... regional perspective I guess.