Saturday, January 3, 2015

ScrapHappy Saturday

After finishing off the Mai Tai Sunrise quilt last year, I still had plenty of nine patches leftover.  So this year I will be framing them out and adding snowball corners.  If I make 10 each month there will be enough for a nice sized quilt at the end of the year.  Here are the blue blocks.  
Each of the blue squares is 2 inches, which makes the nine patches 5 inches.  The light and dark grey framing strips are 1.5 by 5 and 1.5 by 7.  The snowball corners are 2.5 inches, I used the "flip and sew" method.  I was inspired by a baby quilt that Bonnie Hunter showed recently.  It is always fun to find new ways to put leader and ender blocks to good use.  

I hope your 2015 is off to a great start.  Use the linky below to share your blue scrap projects so far. I'll be back into town shortly and will be choosing a winner for the blue pack of fabric by Vicki Welsh.  Don't forget to enter the drawing, just scroll back to the color announcement post and leave a comment with your favorite word for blue.  Vicki has already sold out of of Rainbow Scrap Challenge snack packs and I don't know if she will be making more, so this might be your only chance to have this collection of blue.  


20 comments:

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

I loved the whirly-gig block. Thanks for the tutorial!

Kate said...

Another fun scrappy quilt. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's projects for this year.

Julierose said...

Happy to be joining in this year; keeping this as my fun project. hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Here's to a lot of scrappy goodness in 2015!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Bonnie Hunter certainly inspires us all when it comes to using up scraps. The snowball corners will make for some interesting secondary colour play. Love the sawtooth star blocks idea for this year's RSC sampler.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like your Nine patch plan - right now looks a little patriotic ;-)

Kathy's A Quilter said...

I'm baaaack. I will have to get into the routine a little better this year. Thanks again for providing this platform for inspiring us to get a grip on these scraps in such a fun and thoughtful way.

Ellen said...

I really like the plan you have for the nine patches. It really is such a good way to use up those scraps!

Tanya Quilts in CO said...

I had trouble with Mr. Linky and my link posted twice. So sorry!

Laura said...

I hope I didn't post my link multiple times. It is my first time using Mr Linky and I was confused. I am happy to be started on my RSC :)

Jennie in GA said...

My first link, too. A fun start for the NY!

Mystic Quilter said...

What a great start to the year -lots of links to see!
Thanks Angela and to Vicki for sponsoring.

Angie said...

Neat setting idea for the 9 patch blocks!

Jo said...

Yep. I like the idea. Great to follow along

Marly said...

I love the whirly-gig in the Sawtooth star, but I haven't started working on it yet. I have bought 2 metres of French Navy solid to use as background for the stars, and still have to work out how to put a dark blue star on a dark blue background: I think not!

Nanette said...

Wow, lots of people got off to a quick start, I haven't even looked at my blues yet. I know we don't have to post something every week, but I do want to keep up with this. Great to see all your creative uses of blue.

Nanette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nanette said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog letting me know I'd become a no-reply commenter. All fixed now, gremlins had removed my email address from the appropriate box!

Craftyheart2 said...

I don't have a blog. I am doing little monkey blocks (from Quiltville). So far I have 7 mid blue blocks. I am thinking I will choose another block as well. Thanks for organising this.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Loving this challenge, but can't figure out how to link-up. Tech...no!! :o((

Here's my post:

http://thejoyfulquilter.blogspot.com/2015/01/rainbow-scrap-challenge-2015-rsc15.html

Thanks!