Monday, January 5, 2015

Scrappy Monday

School starts again tomorrow and so I must go and catch up on e-mail and lesson plans, but I did take a bit of time first to play with some more blue scraps.  I always have more blue than anything else, which is why it is a nice place to start.

These are some 1.5 inch postage stamp squares leftover from the giant postage stamps of last year.  With flying geese made from 2.5 inch strips, the 4 by 4 mini blocks make nice little stars.  I think I'll keep the star points mostly solidish on this one.

 There is also the postage stamp chevron which still needs three more blocks.  So I'd better dig out the orange and the light blue to get the blocks done for this one.  I think a simple white lattice with grey cornerstones will finish this one off.
I've been pondering what to do with 2.5 inch squares, and was thinking of these white stars on a colored background.  I've seen lots of them out there, and I love the look.  The white stars can be in the center or any of the four corners and move around from block to block.
After that it was a bit of a clean-up with leftover bits sewn together to make crumb blocks in a random assortment.  These are squared up to 4.5 inches using the GO cutter.  They would make nice centers to more stars, but I think I'll just save them up for now. 

18 comments:

Marti said...

Love the blue blocks. There is just something about mixed blues that looks so rich. I like the one with the white star too for a touch of brightness and drama.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Love the blocks. The postage stamps in the star block is a great idea. I may have to steal it from you! 😉

Mystic Quilter said...

Lovely blue blocks and your 16 patch Ohio Star has me wondering whether to use my left over blue squares this way!

Deb A said...

Blue is so fun to play with! I made two of the white stars on blue with my scraps but will show one Saturday - one medium blue and one light blue.

Julierose said...

that star block IS perfect for 2.5" squares--I may steal that idea ;---)))...my limited range of blues may like to share their space with white...hugs, Julierose

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh what fun! I love the idea of all the cool blocks in the star.... Hmmmm should I start another quilt?????

Andee said...

I see I have another star to get to, lol! I too have Bonnie's wonky star pattern out in case the mood strikes me to do them as rsc, but thinking there will not be time! Love yours!

beaquilter said...

lovely inspiration for blues! hmm I love blues and have a LOT of scraps too, just need a GO! project for it.

Sheila said...

Love the color blue and your blue blocks! Stars and especially the scrappy 4.5" blocks! The little squares block in the star is cute. My favorite : )

Scrappy quilter said...

Love the look of your blocks. You were able to use up lots of blues. Great job

Katie Z. said...

Happy, happy, happy!

Suzy said...

Lookin' Good! :o)

Jo said...

I never thought to use the go cutter for this. So simple....

Anonymous said...

That last batch is just begging to be set with skinny strips and little cornerstones! Love all your scrappy things. Even with your project and my own leader-enders, I never seem to reduce the scraps, but ... we'll keep going!

Ellen said...

Blue really is such a nice colour. Both star blocks look great!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Last week I had made a 16 piece postage stamp and used 2" squares which finished perfectly at 6.5" for a Sawtooth Star Centre. I am working desperately on getting my Grand Illusion off of the table, but do so want to play "The Blues".

Anonymous said...

Those are lovely! What a great way to use up your leftover squares.

Barb said...

Glad you got some play time...