Sunday, January 18, 2015

Background Fabric Requirements

I've had several questions about requirements for background fabric.  You are welcome to use a variety of background fabrics, but for those who would like to use one fabric throughout, I've done the math for you.  There are 25 star blocks, and for the background on those you will 2 yards of fabric.  There are 24 alternate blocks and they need 4 yards.  So if you are planning on one background fabric, 6 yards will be necessary.
This does not include the background for the center of the stars, as these are sampler blocks, that have not been announced yet, there is absolutely no way to know how much is needed for those.  So I would definitely suggest scrappy for those.  Definitely.
Now on to backing fabric.  This will also need 6 yards.  The finished quilt will about 90 x 90 depending on what you decide for borders.
Please let me know if you have any other questions.  I'm sorry to have left you all hanging for so long, the last couple of weeks have been lots of fun for me, but without lots of time for sewing.  Thankfully, and three day weekend should help all that and give me a chance to get a little bit done.  

11 comments:

Cynthia's Creating Ark said...

Thanks for the measurements. More for the backing fabric requirement. When I see a special sale I will be able to look for my backing and hopefully get a bargain.

Kate said...

Thanks for yardage info.

Jo said...

That's a great size quilt. I was working on my blue block today trying to work out if this is what I am going to do each month. I'll get back to it SATURDAY

Kat Scribner said...

Don't feel sorry about delays. You have family and life too - everything needs it's time.

Kathy's A Quilter said...

no need to apologize to us...we have a life too! Loving the size of this quilt.

Pamela Arbour said...

Thank you so much for the yardage information and the alternate block instructions the other day. I have a full time job as well. I know what it takes to do family, work and hobby. Thanks again for all of your effort. This is going to be a great year for using our scraps!

Jennie in GA said...

Thx for all of your hard work and inspiration!!

Nell's Quilts said...

Thanks for the fabric requirements. I had done a bit of figuring on my own and was pretty close when I did the metric conversion.

Unknown said...

Great post.
http://www.dctbrand.com
http://www.baratoventa.com

Barb said...

You are so tempting me to join you....

Andee said...

Scrappy is the way to go...I am sure I have plenty of background fabric that works and when going scrappy I can always add more if I need it! LOL thanks for the breakdown though!