Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Backings Again

Backings are hard for a scrap quilter.  I just don't keep large quantities of fabric on hand anymore.   I had several chunks I wanted to move out, so I started there.   Blue is always nice, and I had one fabric with both blue and orange, so I decided to go with a two color back.  More blue than orange, but all happy to be out of the stash and living in a quilt!   
Here is the quilt that goes with that back, another version on 9 Carat Diamonds.  It was initially inspired by Well Suited from Cyndi at Quilting is more Fun than Housework.  Hers uses 2.5 inch squares for the nine patches though, and mine are 2 inches.   Cyndi hosts Oh Scrap! on Sundays which is always a nice follow up to ScrapHappy Saturday.  I added a 2.5 inch black border all the way around, and now I think I might need just a bit more backing fabric for comfort.
 

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I rarely have backings on hand either and have to buy especially for a quilt and then of course whatever is left from the backings goes into the scraps! I don't like to have to piece a lot of fabric together to make a back and prefer wide backs or to buy the yardage to piece two pieces together for it

Quiltdivajulie said...

Beautiful quilt top and such a good way to use up fabrics for that scrappy back. I have yardage for several projects-in-the-works but there are also several that will have pieced-from-the-stash backings (DH tends to like those the best).

The Joyful Quilter said...

Super cute backing for that new scrappy quilt top, Angela!!

Maggie said...

It looks absolutely amazing, quilt backs is where I always trip up if they are pieced. To get it to stay flat and behave is a wrestling match every time.

Anonymous said...

9 Carat Diamonds is absolutely lovely. It’s really hard to beat a rainbow.

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Your quilt is amazing. I always enjoy seeing scrap quilts. They are just so happy.

Kathy S. said...

I'm a big fan of pieced backs. Way to use that stash.

Maria said...

Such a great way to use up scraps and make a backing.....
Love the scrappy diamonds ♦️ 💎 ....