Sunday, February 7, 2021

Superbowl Sunday

 

We were lucky to get in our morning walk before the rain started this morning.  It is really pouring now!   I hope it has moved out of Tampa ahead of the big game tonight.  
I don't really follow sports all that much, but I have some hand quilting to enjoy during the game and we are having appetizers for dinner while enjoying the commercials as a family.  I finished the December block during some family TV time last night and decided on half circles for the border.  I'm still trying to decide whether the circles will be a single or double row.  Plenty of time for those decisions.  I think I still have three more months to finish before the border becomes top priority.  

Yesterday I worked on pieced backings.   This was the challenge quilt for RSC in 2016.  It has been done since then, but just sat waiting for its turn on  the quilting machine.  I added a thin grey border, more for ease of quilting than for aesthetics.  

Then I found some extra hand dyed fabric and used it to spice up the backing.   
Frameshift was next on the list.  It was from the RSC in 202, and I got some fabrics last week to put together a backing.  I just don't have any large quantities of fabric on hand these days, so backings is a good excuse for necessary shopping.  


The floral is heavy on pinks and limes, but I am trying to enhance my scrap stash in the areas of yellow and orange, so I got some of those instead.  So now I've got two more quilts ready to go the next time I set up the quilting frame.  I've got a quilt that I said I'd finish for a coworker of my husband, so I'd like to get several quilts finished while the frame is assembled.  

What are your plans for today?  I'm off to check out slow stitching Sunday with Kathy and Oh Scrap! with Cynthia before I see if there is enough yardage squirreled away somewhere for another backing. Then there is laundry, an online tutoring session and a grocery pickup.   

15 comments:

chrisknits said...

I always try to use up the leftover fabrics for my backings, but sometimes you just have to buy new. I love the pieced one with the hand dyed, so modern.

Juliana said...

Sounds like the perfect day for a quilter and mom! I like your pieced backings. They remind me of the old timey utilitarian quilts. I always enjoy your posts.

Joyce said...

Your quilts are so wonderfully colorful and joyful!

Rebecca Grace said...

Beautiful, sunny quilts for a cold, rainy day! I am so out of it that I was startled to read that the Superbowl is tonight! Isn't that pathetic?! :-).

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Good idea to piece multiple backings for quilts at a time and get them all ready to go. Sounds like you'll be having a quilting marathon one of these days! Enjoy your quilting with the Super Bowl later on!

Debbie J said...

I love ideas for piecing backings! I am trying to use what I have on hand, but most of the pieces aren't quite big enough for a quilt backing by itself. Great ideas!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on getting prepared for the next time the quilt frame is assembled, Angela! Today, I will be starting a new donation quilt and loading another quilt on the longarm. Fun stuff!

Karrin Hurd said...

Great projects! I loved pieced backings!

Anonymous said...

So many pretty projects! Neither my husband or I are big sports fans. I’m amazed that I actually know whose playing!

Michelle
https://mybijoulifeonline.com

Deb A said...

Smart to get everything prepped for when the frame goes up. It turned into a napping afternoon for me.

Kim said...

Pieced backings are always fun and a fabulous way to use up fabric. Love those circles. Enjoy the game.....and the adds. =)

Little Penpen said...

I love your circle quilt. All your projects have such happy colors. Enjoy!

MissPat said...

It must be a lot of work to repeatedly have to setup and take down a long arm. Your machine must be very accommodating to being frequently disturbed. I have been making pieced backings for most of my quilts in an effort to whittle down the stash. It's good to see you are finding time for your quilting.
Pat

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Such colorful quilts and fun backs!!!

Robin said...

Don't worry about our weather. It was beautiful all day for the Bucs to win at home! So many people had SuperBowl parties you could just go house to house and party. It was a great day for all in the Tampa Bay area AND Our Ice Hockey Team, Lightening, WON the Stanley Cup!