Monday, June 4, 2012

Design Wall Monday June 4, 2012

I puttered away at a few things on Sunday, but tried to make some headway on the Goose in the Pond blocks that are overfilling my design wall right now.  The pattern is from Bonnie Hunter's Scraps and Shirtails II book, although I have made some changes.  The problem with making changes to the pattern is that it leads to lots of decisions.  I'm not sure I am happy with the sashing variety, and then I need to figure out what to do with the cornerstones.  I didn't feel like making lots of tiny pinwheel blocks, and so tried out a red and white print, but with only a fat quarter, there isn't enough.  9 patches seem like an obvious choice, so I tried one with dark in the corners and one with light in the corners.  Sometimes the best thing to do with lots of decisions is to sleep on them and see what looks good in the morning.  I think I'll try that.  If worst comes to worst, there might be time between driving kids around in circles to pop into a fabric store and look for a nice border print.  A nice large scale red white and blue might tie it all together.  What do you think?
To see what other people have up on their design walls today, head over to Judy's blog.  

24 comments:

Ellen said...

Really nice blocks! I always seem to be able to work things out while relaxing in the bath.

Amy said...

Awesome RWB quilt!!! The RWB sashing is perfect (even WITH the variety!) And I'm with you on the 9-patches; they certainly do seem to be the obvious choice; light corners.

Kathaleeny said...

Really nice. I love BH's patterns.

Gari in AL said...

Look at all those little tiny pieces! Are you piecing or paper piecing? I like your sashing and thinl the dark cornered 9 patches look great.

Sue Daurio said...

Wow, that is looking really good. I do l like the nine patch corner stone. Love the stars next to the goose in the puddle, very pretty. Finding a nice RWB print for the border should be pretty easy this time of year, it's all in the timing :)

Angie said...

Ha! I started working on a RWB quilt myself this weekend. Must be something about summer!

I like all the variety in your sashing; I think you could go with the plain cornerstones if you use the fabric you're showing - the dark "dots" fool the eye into thinking "piecing", but without more design to interpret. Whatever you choose, it's going to be a fun RWB quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

So many decisions on this one...I say you should go fabric shopping while you mull it over!! LOL

Lynne said...

I like the sashing you used on the left group - not sure about the nine patch though!

Melinda said...

What a lot of piecing. It is going to be beautiful no matter what sashing/cornerstones you use. I think you sound reconsider the pinwheels.

Chris said...

Loads of piecing but it is fabulous. I think the 9-patches are perfect.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I like the 9 patches as well. In designing it I may have thought it was too much, but I think in reality it looks very good.

glen

Penny Foree said...

A lot of time and work has gone into your blocks and they look great!

Judy D in WA said...

Your blocks are fabulous! I like the little 9 patch cornerstones.
The problem with sleeping on decisions keeps you awake most of the night. ;) Hope that wasn't the case.

Bonnie said...

Nice blocks... I agree, nothing like mulling about something for things to clear up. Good luck.

Cathy said...

I think the nine patches with the lights in the corners fit with the overall look of the quilt the best. It is stunning, by the way.

make.share.give said...

I've been admiring the blocks on the right the past few times I've stopped by. Love the lime green with red and blue.

Cathy Tomm said...

I like the nine patches. But like the other Cathy says what about the nine patch with light in the outer corners .

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Mmmm Mmm I love that quilt pattern and yours is wonderful. I like the 9 patches in the sashing with the dark outsides.... don't know if that helps or just makes it harder ;-)

Vicki H. said...

Very pretty blocks and the rwb quilt is really pretty. I like the idea of the cornerstones having a bold red and blue in it with a bit of white. Your sashing looks great! Hope you don't have too much running and can go to the fabric store!

Kate said...

Love the blocks. I like the sashing with the 9 patch blocks.

AnnieO said...

Yes, making changes to a pattern does lead to a lot more decision making, but you're doing great :)

Andee said...

Looks good to me...I am sure it will look even better with whatever you come up with!

Amy said...

I think it looks fabulous. I know changes usually lead to more changes but I like what your doing!

Darling Jill Quilts said...

I like how those are turning out! This might be one to add to my someday list.