Sunday, June 24, 2012

Handwork Sunday

 I was on a roll with machine quilting and thought I would take on the Dear Jane that has been sitting in a cupboard for a while now waiting for hand quilting.  I got two rows done before deciding that it just didn't look good.  It looked like a child had drawn all over my quilt.  Instead I switched the machine to a long basting stitch and basted the rest for hand quilting.  I'll be out of town for training next week and this will make a nice take along project for the hotel room.  This really is a quilt that calls for hand work, and it isn't all that big with only 48 blocks. 
The rest of the day was busy with binding.  There are now 7 quilts in my stack waiting to have the binding hand sewn to the other side.  I guess I won't be bored during TV time for a while!  4 of these were quilted during my weekend marathon, the other three were already done and waiting for the binding to be made and sewn on.  Now I need to go reassemble the sewing room and get things put away so that I can pack and get ready for my training tomorrow.  Shifting gears is so hard to do.

7 comments:

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh I love your Dear Jane in blues!!!! I've made one too, not in blues though :*) I'm planning to machine quilt mine, but I have several friends who have hand quilted theirs, and they are just absolutely amazing! I know you will enjoy the gentleness of hand quilting when you have such a lovely quilt to work with!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is a great idea to machine baste a quilt that will be hand quilted. If you hand quilted one block a week, you'd be done in a year!
Love that photo of the pile of quilts!
Thanks for linking up!

Cyn said...

Gorgeous blue DJ. Really like the idea of FMBasting your quilt. Super idea. Beautiful stack of quilts - great pic!
Have fun on your trip.

Amy said...

The patience of hand-quilting will be such a forever-lasting amazingness for your Dear Jane. How big are those blocks?

Training.....I'm sure it will be fulfilling. Maybe I'll have a chance to catch up with you on my own quilting after the Energizer-Bunny day you had yesterday! :D

Andee said...

Thank you for lighting a fire under my butt for quilting a binding..I have several little ones in line and just not to get to them!

Diane Kelsey said...

A lovely quilt, that will definetly look lovely with hand quilting. Hope you are not too tired after work to stitch.

Lynne said...

Enjoy the training. It seems like a strange time to have it - in the middle of vacation.