Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hot off the Presser Foot!

I decided to use a slightly different setting for my OC blocks. The quilt was not exactly speaking to me. I saw a very cool alternative to the spinning star blocks at Quilts and Pieces, but the thought of reworking all of those blocks seemed a little daunting. Especially after I had already resewn several of the spinning stars that weren't spinning. Something about the diagonal setting and mix of colors was just too much for me. So I decided to use a straight set with alternating blocks and make a twin quilt. I have enough leftover star blocks for a pillow sham. I think I'll use this one in Sydney's room and call it done. After I get this bordered, I'll have two quilts ready for quilting. I think I'll pick one more to finish up and then switch into quilting mode for a while. I am lucky enough to have already seen Kung Fu Panda twice, and it just opened this weekend! Ryan had a birthday party on Friday, and he wanted me to stay rather than just do the drop off. I thought it was a cute movie, and the kids all enjoyed it, especially the 7 year old boys who all came out doing lots of karate moves. Then this morning, the girls decided they had been cheated out of a movie and wanted to go and see it as well.
I enjoy seeing movies regardless of what they are. Something about sitting in a dark theater munching on popcorn completely cut off from the outside world is just very relaxing to me. Sydney just enjoys everything so much right now. It must be the magic of turning 5. She kept laughing out loud and repeating the lines during the movie. Even when we got back home she was still parroting the quotes and singing the song.
The kids all have day camps next week. I arranged them all at the same time because I was supposed to be away at a teacher workshop all week. I just found out that my workshop has been canceled, but the kids are all booked. That means I have a week of time with no work and no kids. I wonder what I'll do with myself?

9 comments:

Candace said...

Poor you. A week by yourself, what will you do. I still haven't decided on 1 quilt or 2 from my OC blocks. When yours is all done, I'll bet that Sydney loves it.

Meisje said...

Agree about the movie experience. BTW, the girls and I decided yesterday that we're all going to see the Kit movie together, as soon as it comes out. Good?

Meisje said...

Testing . . .

Candace said...

Test - the blog looks great, I hope it's just a temporary glitch. Blogger has had problems today for me. I don't know if it is blogger, or my provider.

Amy said...

I LOVE the straight layout, but I've decided to go with Bonnie's on-point setting.

Your colors are PERFECT for a quilt for Sydney! Can't wait to see the final product(s).

Candace said...

Meant to tell you, I think "Hot off the Presser Foot" is really cute and imaginative.

Rhonda said...

Wow!! Your OC looks great! LOve the color combos!
Oh my, a whole week without kids? What will you do? :D

Amanda said...

I really like your setting of just the spinning star blocks, I shall try that one myself and see how it looks. I used to dream of having a week to myself when the boys were small. Have a great time.

Amy said...

Looking at your layout again is reallllly giving me second thoughts about the on-point setting. i'm only a few rows into sewing the diagonals, so before I continue, I'm going to layout them out straight. I really like the "diagonal" look that is created by the whites when arranged in the straight look.

Weird----when set "on-point", a rectangular lattice design in created, but when set "straight," a diagonal "irish-chain-type-look" gets created.

Hope you'll enjoy the week!!! ((Duh---of COURSE you will))