Monday, June 16, 2008

Borders Borders Borders

I haven't gotten much done in the past few days, but I have been plugging away on the borders, trying to get my last two quilts finished up. I went with piano keys on the Elm Creek Sampler quilt. I've never done them before, but I'm happy with the way they turned out. I think they add a lot of color the the quilt. Now I just need to get the layering and basting done. I started recycling the scraps from this quilt for a pineapple quilt I've been thinking about starting.
I've pieced the outer border for the OC quilt, but I haven't got my head around what size to make the inner border yet. I know the math isn't complicated, but I haven't sat down to think it through yet. I wanted the inner border to be pink, but I'm low on that particular fabric, so it might end up yellow or orange instead.
Yesterday was fathers day, so I mowed the yard and did some pruning and edging and other fun stuff. We don't usually fall into sexually stereotyped jobs around here, but the yard had fallen to Kurt for the last few years, and I always feel a little guilty about him being out there in the heat of the day. He got some more work done on the bathroom, if we can decide on faucets we may have a working bathtub again soon! We went out for dinner to Cici's Pizza (the kids favorite) and then all went to see the Incredible Hulk movie. Sydney slept through most of it, all curled up on my lap like a little angel, but everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

You call this not getting much done? I think you have gotten a lot done!! Your quilts are so pretty.

Amy said...

The Piano keys REALLLLLY put a great touch on the Elm Creek!!!! And----any idea how you're going to quilt the border? I have a quilt (Cassie's 30's) that is ALMOST complete, but I don't know how to go about quilting the keys. Simple "ditch"? If so, would we start/stop with each key? That's the only thing I can see possible....
So, let me know what you decide....

Also----YES! The pieced border of the OC REALLLLLY adds a lot too!

I know the feeling of not having a working bathroom due to remodeling, too! Been there, done that! :0)

Serena Smith said...

love...just love the fun colors!!! :)

Michelle said...

The piano key border is one of my favorites...I've used it a time or two (or three). :) Both quilts are awesome! Good job!